Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Please

I have taken over as pre-school manager. One day a week I attend college/uni centre so I leave the deputy in charge. Anyway she rang up (doesn't do this often) to tell me that one member of staff as 'talked' about another. They notcied that the other member of staff is not pulling their weight, who by the way is a level 3 qualified. I agree with what I have seen too, gentle encouragement doesn't work. They talk to other staff when working ingoring the children, disapear to make coffees but doesn't wash up if there is any and is very slow at setting up and putting away, prefering to talk to the parents intstead of the job in hand i.e. talking about non childcare realted things. Plus we are still waiting for them to get a new mobile phone for us (it had been delagaed to them before I started) to use been nearly a month now.

Well this member of staff on their last week of proabation. There also as been lack of induction because of no manager etc. Now I am left wondering what to do, I know I will ring ACAS up tomorrow for advice too. I just know that if they was not there the team would perform better and the mood would be better to.

Beth

Guest Wolfie

I agree with hali, a well-planned 1:1 meeting with the member of staff, to raise your concerns and try to agree an action plan to address them - and yes, it sounds as though you need to extend the probation period. Before the meeting, sit down and write a plan of exactly what you want to cover and discuss - don't go into the meeting "cold". The planning will give you, as a manager, more confidence and you will feel more in charge of the situation.

Good luck - it's not easy being a manager and each member of staff needs to be "managed" differently in my experience - but you will learn from this situation and that's all part of YOUR learning curve.

Let us know how you get on! :o

You definately need to extend her probationary period.

I think you should explain to her that at the moment, due to her conduct at work, you would not take her on after the probationary period, although as she has not received a proper induction, you feel she would benefit from this.

I have a member of staff who is just going into her second probationary period (and she has had a proper induction). The main reason is that although her planning, working with children, partnerships with parents are excellent and can not be faulted, her attendance, punctuality and attitude toawrds me and other staff absolutely stinks!

It is hard to confront the situation now, but an awful lot easier than 6 mths down the line after sha has been taken on permanently.

Very good advice already, maybe a good time to get ALL staff to look at and revue the Induction, disciplinary & grievance, employment and complaints policies. Give out a copy to all staff and ask for any amendments they feel need to be included or any clarification of procedures they would like more information on.

Maybe think of introducing a 'buddy' system for new staff, possibly turn this around in a positive nature by asking the member of staff who went to the deputy with her concerns to consider 'buddying' this new member of staff, encouraging her to remember what it was like when she first started, support them in building supportive positive relationships.

Also maybe an idea to find a way to encourage all staff to voice what they think are each others positive attributes to the team. I used to do this at staff meetings. Gave each member of staff a sheet of paper with other staffs names on and they were asked to write a positive comment about each one. I collated them then read out a few comments, per member of staff . I then gave each member of staff the comments relating to them. It always bought a smile to everyones face and it supported a sense of team 'bonding', and mutual appreciation. It helped to highlight and share each others strengths.

Let us know how you get on.

Peggy

Wishing you luck today and looking forward to hearing how you got on. Wasn't there recently a policy posted here somewhere about expected staff behaviour? I would really appreciate being signposted to this, and perhaps it could be included as part of an induction, to be referred to if an extension of probation period is required.

Thank you.

Thanks for the support just need to talk to my chair to let them whats happening. More people have noticed her behaviour espeically waiting for a month for a new mobile phone! Yes you have guessed it still not got one and parents are asking why we are not answering their messages.

Oh well I will see what happens, keep you posted.

Beth

Update:

I have spoken to the chair and ACAS etc. We have come to a desion to extend her contract until the spring bank hols. We will be having the 1-1 early next week due to diffuculties in getting help and advice. If she is sucessful we will be reducing her hours as we now dont need 3 members of staff in at 8.30 am 4 mornings per week.

Beth