Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Requirements For Outdoor Provision

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum so hope I am posting this question in the right place!

I am leading a staff meeting on Monday entitled 'understanding foundation stage' for my colleagues. one of the questions posted in the box was 'is being outdoors a legal requirement'?

All I know is that being outdoors is great and children should have free flow access to outdoor provision. I thought 50% of the time should be outdoors but have no idea where I have plucked that figure from!

Does anyone know what the guidance / regulations / legal requirements are for being outdoors?

thank you, Kathryn :o

Effective practice: Outdoor Learning

Key messages

The outdoor environment has unique characteristics and features.

Outdoor learning has equal value to indoor learning.

Outdoor learning has a positive impact on children’s well-being and development.

Children need the support of attentive and engaged adults who are enthusiastic about the

outdoors and understand the importance of outdoor learning.

Outdoor learning is enhanced by an environment that is richly resourced with play materials that

can be adapted and used in different ways.

An approach to outdoor learning that considers experiences rather than equipment places children

at the centre of the provision being made.

http://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/eyfs/reso...ads/3_3b_ep.pdf for full text

Welcome to the Forum, sparkles.

So did you find out where the 50/50 split idea came from sparkles? I couldn't find it anywhere, but I'm sure you're right...

Maz

So did you find out where the 50/50 split idea came from sparkles? I couldn't find it anywhere, but I'm sure you're right...

Maz

Only bit I can think of that might give idea is "Outdoor learning has equal value to indoor learning."

Guest Wolfie

Welcome to the forum sparkles! :o There is a very good "Vision and Values" doucment about outdoor play, put together by some leading early years people, printed on the Learning Through Landscapes site - you might find that useful as well...

http://www.ltl.org.uk/schools_and_settings...e_resources.htm

Click on the link from this page - I don't seem to be able to link the document directly! xD

Edited by Wolfie

We are always being told by Early childhood services that our outdoor (where possible) should reflect what is offered indoors and the children should have access to both indoors/outdoors for the same amount of time. Not always possible though, depending on the staffing situation & resources!

Hello and welcome to the forum Kathryn.

I'm with Mrsb on this. Love the summer months when we bring outside our tables & chairs, dressing-up, snack bar, painting...............oh just about everything.

Mind you, we do it all year round really. We're all very hardy here in the midlands!! :o

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Isnt there something in the new EYFS about settings being required to provide opportunities for outdoor play either on their own premises or if that is not possible by visits to nearby outdoor spaces?

Sally

Do you know what I think I heard something similar about the 50/50 inside/outside provision. Its funny how these things get engrained on our brains.

Can't offer any more help than anyone else but wanted to welcome you!

hi - another quick question - how about ratio for outside? We're a big foundation unit - 99 children at once - at the moment one member of staff is outside - it's open all the time - no limit on number of children who go out. Therefore, there could be 1, there could be 99!!

Obviously if lots go out, an inside member of staff goes to support outside - just wondered if people limit so that the ratio is 1:13? Not sure where we stand.

Access to outdoor space was discussed at our EYFS training but dont recall mention of 50/50

We were told that even the school run could be counted (Im a childminder) if we used the opportunity constructively eg looking and talking about what we see etc.

In the statutory framework book pg 35 under "outdoor and indoor spaces etc" it says nothing in requirements but in "Guidance" it says

"Wherever possible ,there should be access to an outdoor play area ,and this is the expected norm for providers .In provision where outdoor play cannot be provided ,outings should be planned on a daily basis(unless circumstances make this inappropriate,for example unsafe weather conditions).

Blimey Shiny not heard that,but that would be tough on new providers

hi - another quick question - how about ratio for outside? We're a big foundation unit - 99 children at once - at the moment one member of staff is outside - it's open all the time - no limit on number of children who go out. Therefore, there could be 1, there could be 99!!

Obviously if lots go out, an inside member of staff goes to support outside - just wondered if people limit so that the ratio is 1:13? Not sure where we stand.

We had that problem too Janine, we had 100 children and a very small space.Just as you might restrict sand water etc by having badges,arm bands etc, we did the same outside. We made the decision that we could have up to 30 children outside at any one time and used those reflective jackets, the children knew they need to wear one when outside. Occasionally a reception teacher would take out the whole class which was why we set the number at 30. (our classes didn't always have support)

We had that problem too Janine, we had 100 children and a very small space.Just as you might restrict sand water etc by having badges,arm bands etc, we did the same outside. We made the decision that we could have up to 30 children outside at any one time and used those reflective jackets, the children knew they need to wear one when outside. Occasionally a reception teacher would take out the whole class which was why we set the number at 30. (our classes didn't always have support)

Hi there, we were told that ratios must remain the same outdoors as indoors at all times. We were also told that this applies when children are asleep too.

Have fun!

Lesley

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)