Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I've Booked My Holiday

Rea - hope you enjoy Newquay. I lived there as a teen, I hope to get back there at some point. If you get a chance there are some fab cliff top walks and really picturesque places if you go out of the town. Crantock is lovely, as is Porth and if you like woods and villages, St Mawgan is lovely and has a beautiful woodland walk by the river.

Whatever everyone's are I hope they are all good fun.

Sal

Went to Crantock when the boys were little. wonderful beach, full of small pools left by the sea, just right for toddlers to play in. We had a fab day, but the tide comes in mighty quick, so if anyone else thinks of going, be careful :o

Wont be doing anything like that this weekend though. There will be about 20 17-18 year olds and around 5 parents who will only see the inside of a bar or two. I have a T-shirt ready to wear...

What goes on tour...stays on tour. Newquay 2008 xD

We also have a touring caravan - we have been caravanning since 1985 - and love it. We, like you Sue R go away most weekends in it even through the winter. Last weekend went away and I went fishing for the first time and even though it rained I loved it (caught a roach about 10inches long !!! )- can't wait to go fishing again.

We have booked to go away to Yorkshire in August for 2 weeks in our caraven but our main holiday this year is a tour of the Canadian Rockies followed by an Alaskan cruise - we are celebrating a special wedding anniversary !!! We wanted to do something we have never done before - I can tell you now it's something we will never do again !!! Can't wait it's only 4 weeks and 3 days away now. :oxD:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes:

Sue J

Where in Yorkshire are you going, Sue?

We've been lots in the last few years and it's a lovely area - might have some suggestions! Do you walk much? My first taste of caravanning was in 1971, with boyfriend and family, I was hooked! After we married we tented for a few years but when the children came along we bought a 'van and haven't looked back. They've come on a bit, over the years, haven't they - wouldn't have dreamt of winter touring before heaters and hot water!!

Enjoy your special holiday - sounds brilliant!

Sue

PS -Shelley, give it a go, my kids loved every minute of it (so did I, of course) and you get to see so much of our lovely country, as well as meeting some very interesting people! (some more 'interesting' than others...) Our holiday touring Scotland was great - shame I hadn't heard of Beau then!

Sue that sounds like a fab holiday - no wonder you are so excited. It is our 25th wedding anniversary next year and we plan to go away somewhere nice but haven't given it much thought yet. Unfortunately there will be no holiday for us this year since we are moving house. :o

Hi Sue R - We are hoping to go to the NFOL which is in Pickering, North Yorks, this year, we have never been to one before - have you? Not too sure about it because of the size of it all. We thought we would stay on for a week somewhere nearby or perhaps lower down for a week after the event. I expect there will be thousands of vans around that area at that time though:( We haven't been to Yorkshire at all - most other places but not there.)

What part of Yorkshire do you like best. We like walking but nothing too strenuous - about 5 miles max (slowly with a break at a pub :oxD:( ) We actually like to stay in quiet remote places where we can really unwind with lovely views, etc (Don't really know now why we are thinking of going to a NFOL !!!!!!! :(:( :wacko:

Sue J

National Feast of Lanterns - its an annual Camping and Caravanning Club meet. My in laws were very much into this and I went to quite a few before getting married. In the olden days you used to be able to pick up some good bargains in the trade area but not sure what its like now. :o

We need to get a caravan fast as my husband has arranged for us to go to the Big Green Picnic in the Isle of Wight on the weekend of 24 and 25 May!!

I think the boys will love it, we took them to Glastonbury for a day last year and they loved it but not the mud!

Anybody got any good leads for caravans?!!

What part of Yorkshire do you like best. We like walking but nothing too strenuous - about 5 miles max (slowly with a break at a pub :oxD:( )

Sue J

Hi!

Well, to be honest we like all of it! Whitby is brilliant - from the whale jawbones on one headland to the ruins of the Abbey on the other. There are some fantastic cliff walks on the Yorkshire coast (I have a very bad head for heights, and one very blustery day we had a nightmare walk, for me!!), the views are stupendous! And don't ignore Scarborough, the castle is great - if the scaffolding's down!! We usually arrive places just after the scaffolding's gone up - Notre Dame, York Minster, Corfe Castle...... Speaking of York, it's a lovely town, worth a visit. they have street theatre in the better months! Skipton Castle is great too, in good repair with a superior audio tour and a huge tree growing through the central courtyard.

Obviously the dales and moors are fantastic in their different ways. Malham Cove is very interesting, with the amazing limestone pavement and there are the three peaks, Ingleborough, Pen-y-Ghent and blast!! I can never remember all three together!!! Google 'Three peaks challenge'! I'm not suggesting you do the challenge, mind, one a day does me in, never mind three - that heights thing again! It's alright once you're up there, it's the edging along 3 inch wide bits of path over a sheer drop!!!!! :wacko:

OK, I exaggerate, but even at a foot wide it's scary for me! The tallest waterfall in England is Hardraw Force, North Yorks - quite impressive and very alluring as it's privately owned and only accessible through the Green Dragon pub in the village of Hardraw! :(

I could go on forever, but folks will surely be dozing reading this. If you want more, let me know and I'll pm. When you decide where to stay get back to me again, I may be able to narrow things down a bit.

Sue :(

PS - sorry! haven't answered your question! We haven't been to a NFOL, we're members of the Caravan Club, but wouldn't anyway as Pete doesn't do crowds. Unless it's a gig LOL

Hi

Looked on forum before going to bed (bit late) and couldn't resist looking on google. Are the three peaks, Ingleborough, Pen-y-Ghent and Whernside??

When we finally decide what area to go to, I will let you know Sue.

Thanks

Sue J

Yorkshire is beautiful, but then I would say that I'm a Yorkshire lass! I'm from West Yorkshire but as a child spend an awful lot of time in the Sheffield area as that is where my grandparents and parents are from. I'd definately recommend a trip to Derwent Dam in the peaks http://www.peakdistrictonline.co.uk/conten...categoryId=1599

There are some amazing views around there and I've spent many a day there. It's also where they filmed Dambusters!

I'd also suggest going up towards Haworth and the Steam Railway, into Bronte country. It's beautiful over there too.

I love the Peak District too, I went to Sheffield Hallam University and we spent much time out discovering the beautiful countryside around the area.

There are just so many beautiful areas in our country we are really lucky.

We have done it we have bought a caravan!! All our holidays are sorted for the next ten years!!

Shelley,

You won't regret it! :o

Nich, sorry I always forget the Peak District, as we live on the doorstep. It's where we always walk from home and we've spent many a happy hour tramping about the gritstone edges, the Hope Valley, Edale and Kinder Scout, the Goyt valley (not really peak, but lovely) and of course around the Derwent valley. One of my favourite walks is from the Fairholmes car park up to Alport Castles, then round to the head of Derwent Reservoir, along the top then back along Derwent Edge - a lovely high-level walk that takes a lot of beating, especially on a beasutiful early Spring day when every one else is at work. The perks of being part-time!

Sue