Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Becoming A Foundation Stage Coordinatpr

I have been looking at jobs for foundation stage coordinators and would like some help and advice about this.

I have had experience of reception -almost 3 years worth and some limited nursery - although a lot of reception experience was alongside a good nursery.

Is this good enough to apply for such a post?

Any other things I should take into consideration?

Hi Unafitz,

I certainly think that three years experience would be enough to take on a FS coordinator's role. I would imagine an interview panel would want your views on current topics, eg child-initiated/adult-directed activities, observations, recording/profiles, relationships with pre-schools and year 1, SATS, partnerships with parents, team leader skills/staff development priorities, to name a few. How you would go about making major changes to any setting that employs you would be quite high on their agenda, too! :o

Good advice there! I would add that any job that interests, go and visit as essential. You pick up so much about the way a school works if you go and visit especially around break times so you can get in the staff room, talk to staff etc. Look at the work on the walls, is it the sort of thing that you would encourage children to produce? Think about the size of position you want as well and rememebr that EYCO post often also ask you to coordinate another subject as well as somehow some schools dont think thats enough of a responsibility just to do foundation (that is certainly the case in birmingham).

Also many F. Coords are also on the SMT- do you want that responsibilty? In other words, do your homework, and then go for it, and be great....

• 1 year later...

hi

Not been in for a while, nice to be back. Sorry I am having a moan though!!! xD I am at the moment teaching a reception class, I have been told that in September I will be taking the nursery class in charge of a nursery nurse and a classroom assistant, plus I will be helping the Reception teacher as she has never participated in the foundation curriculum, PLUS every afternoon I will be releasing the head to do her duties and I will be taking year 6 PLUS they have asked me to take on the role of Foundation coordinator!!!!Now does anyone else think that this is fair??? there will be no extra pay either!!!!!Any advice to give me?? I have already said that I am not happy about this and I am feeling overwhelmed by the workload. There moan over with! :o

WOW!!! lost for words!! xD:(:(:(

HOw many pairs of hands do they think you have and how can you possibly take on so many responsibilities. Any one of them is a job and a half on its own!! AS for no extra pay!! :oxD :wacko:

hi Gertie, WOW that's alot to do-

is the nursery class only part time then? The nursery support as you describe it is within the remit of the classteacher but the nursery and reception support are within the remit of the fs coordinator and I would expect to have some management time to support adequately, so that you can get in to the reception classroomand support alongside the children. Quite important in my opinion.

To relieve the head in yr6 is a massive job and another juggling act. what a difference in mind set you will need. Do you have experience of this age group? It is also an important year for them and I presume you would not have literacy and numeracy to deliver as you will be covering the afternoon but what about science? If you are not responsible for planning or setting up it might be possible ie a babysitting/ caretaking role, but it doesn't sound like that so I think you have every right to be concerned and to object. On the other hand presumably your head thinks you are up to the job, so take heart from that.

FS coord usually get 1 or 2 management points but if you are not being offered this presumably your head does not see your role taking you on to SMT. Ofsted look quite closely at the end of each Key Stage so you would as coord. be expected to "carry the can" - hence the money, perhaps. Check out more closely with your head exactly how he/she sees your role.

Presumably if your head is a teachimg head you are actually quite a small school?

And like most schools the budget is probably tight, but some FS cord get alot of time out of the classroomand you could probably use every afternoon suppoorting and managing.

I think you have every right to be concerned about the workload here, whats happening about the workload agreement and guarateed planning and prepartion time in your school. Don't let yourself be put upon and remember, you can only do what you can do. At the end of the day your head needs and wants you functioning in the classroom, not at home sick and overworked.

Perhaps you should contact your union for advice?

Good luck. Let us know how you get on!

:o hi

Thankyou for your comments Geraldine and Susan, I had a chat with my headteacher and she said I should be grateful to be offered this role as its what im doing all the time, I know im a reception practitioner but surely this is different from being the foundation stage coordinator?? Every afternoon I will take her class for D.T and Art, and the other 3 afternoons I will be taking reception, year 1 and year 3/4!!!!! She said a teacher can become 'stagnant' if in the same class for too long!! She didnt seem to be bothered that i am a trained Early years practitioner by choice!! She went on to say that it wouldnt look good on my c.v if the majority of my experience was in the reception class!! I do work in an independent school maybe that is why they get away with it, but the workload is just the same. I feel really downhearted and dispondent. She said I was an excellent reception teacher is this the burden I have to pay because I work hard and believe in what I do?? Sorry, I'm still having a moan!! xD

No need to apologise - you moan away! I only wish I had some pearls of wisdom to offer but alas I don't. I do really feel for you though and yes I think it is alot to do with working in an independent school. I used to and they were, when they felt like it, a law unto themselves!! :o

I still think the workload sounds an awful lot for one person but I am not a teacher so will let the wonderful ones here offer you their advice.

Just remember though

:DYOU ARE AN EXCELLENT RECEPTION TEACHER :D

Dear Gertie,

I agree that all of this work does seem a bit overwhelming. Like you I do work in an Independent school but my principal would never expect a teacher to take on as many diverse roles as that...how can you fullfill your true potential if you are split so many ways? Keep smiling though :)

back again

As you can imagine im very stressed about this situation. Could anyone please help me with this. What is the difference between a Reception teachers role and the foundation curriculum coordinators role? I need help to put it into words. I am extremely grateful for all your kind words and helpful advice xxxxxxx :)

Gertie, I will have to think about that I'm too tired now!

But I think you are being taken advantage of and you should start the job hunt, unpleasant as that may be to realise.

My initial reaction is if you are being offered this role, then how can you being doing it already? Adequate renumeration seems to be the key in that situation.

Like you I don't agree that you will stagnate if you have a prefered age group rather that you will develop skills and expertise within it.

Saying that it is quite good to show that you have a range of experience and that you know both where the children are going and where they have come from. But to teach all that together is not the norm, unless perhaps you are a supply teacher and I don't think that is the contract you signed, is it?

You may have to grin and bear this for the next term so as not to aggrevate your head and jepodise a reference but I think a walk to another school should not be ruled out. Remember you can only do your best and in this situation your best may not be as good as you would have liked but will be the best you can do in the circumstances.

Check your contract and consult your union.

Keep talking on here.

I will get back to you!

Sorry Gertie,

Don't want to hijack this discussion, but I just wanted to say Twizzy - hi and welcome! :D Wouldn't want your first post to get overlooked. :) And Gertie, although I'm not a teacher I would agree with Susan. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to focus on one age group. You can't possibly do justice to any position if you're stretched too thin. Personally I would rather my children had a teacher who was commited to improving the quality of her work rather than someone who resembles a headless chicken running around trying to fulfil many roles and never having time to reflect. :o Good luck with whatever you end up with though. :)

Hello again

Well I'm going to have another chat this week with the owner of the school who has quite clearly stated that she doesnt know anything about education and has left all such matters for the head to sort out. I really appreciate all the advice you have given me, I have printed your replies so I can show her that I'm not the only one who thinks that this is too much workload. I hope this is ok with you? I feel quite isolated and quite tired trying to put my thoughts into words withpout sounding like I'm workshy which is most definately not the case. I must admit I would be lost without this forum, I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall, The head has clearly stated that this is the way it is going to be in September, She went on to say I either do this or teach year 6!!!!! And no I have no experience of this age group, only taken them for Art! I don't understand why she isnt prepared to listen to my point of view? She said next year I may put yopu in key stage 2 !!!! Is it just me or is this ideaology completely bizarre????

So sorry for all the whinging, but I feel sadened that this has come to this, I have been very happy at the school. :o

gertie , you sound really down, you can feel very alone when someone isn`t listen to your veiws,especially when it`s your job .

you must keep posting your concerns ,as there are alot of lovely people on this site who will offer you their support and also very good advice!

keep your chin up , maddyx.

I can only sympathise and offer you positive thoufhts. I have been in an unhappy job for a year now and my way out is to start job hunting. An exhausting process, but one which holds light at the end of a tunnel.

I think tour head is being unreasonable. Have you sought union advice and advice only, just so you can make your position clear.

Best of luck. Stick with us and we'll see you through the worst and best times. (they have me)

Take care

Kate

Oh Gertie!!

I'm here too! Had an awful experience in a private school myself, similar sort of thing, so can sympathise.

Hang on in there, and remember, you're not alone, you have a whole ARMY behind you!

Sue :D

Thanks again for your kind and thoughtful comments. I wish everyone was as understanding as you lot ! I am even thinking of becoming a childminder as I undertook the induction course earlier this year and Im now registered. I feel though that I may miss teaching as its here where I really think I belong. The school basically does what it wants regardless of how the staff feel, the children are lovely as ever and it is them who I will really miss. The newly appointed reception teacher is unhappy too as she has concerns about undertaking the foundation curriculum as shes never done it before, To add insult to injury there is a strong possibility that we could be ofsteded from next September ! what a farce eh!!!Thanks again for your help, Only wish I could come on with some nice news for a change! :o

• 1 year later...

xD Just browsing and read Gertie's post about taking on diverse roles.

Did anything get sorted? I'd be fascinated to hear how it all turned out. :o I have a head who keeps saying I should be prepared to teach anywhere in the school, but in 30 years, my experience has all been Early years and KS1. I know how she feels. :( I only have 1 year left to go and hope I can be left in peace.

Chin up Gertie - It can only get better!

I would give this a lot of thought before you agree. I don't know much about the Private Sector but can you talk to a union for advice?

This may be the time to take stock of where you see yourself in say 5 years time. If you need to move on then move on, as there are many schools where your talents will be recognised, and you wont be expected to be a Jack of All Trades. Sometimes these situations arise and make us wake up to ourselves.

At the end of the day you should do what is right for you.

• 3 months later...

Hi Going back to unafitz's original question i would have to say from having an interview for role of coordinator of fs i would agree with Helen and Mundia's original advice - just go for it but be prepared - i was asked similar questions when interviewed - and managed to get the post!

• 1 year later...

hey there - you should be ok with the nursery and reception bit as you are familiar with it, but be careful about the year 6 bit - its very different and the planning will be onerous because you arent familiar with it!!! been there done that

run for the hills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)