Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Changing Nappies Of Older Children

just wondering what people do when changing the nappy of a child - 2 -4 year olds (as opposed to a baby).

query has arisen as we are reflecting on the provision we have and what we need in our new build.

at the moment we have a changing area in our nursery toilets (which are directly off the nursery room). At the mo there is no changing area on the new plans with a query as to whether we should be changing children at all. I said that inclusive practice means we do have to accept children in nappies and feel that we should change them in the same place that others go to the toilet so we can encourage them to begin to use the toilet as part of the nappy change routine / toilet training process.

then the question arose as to whether we should be lifting children of this age onto a change bench (or laying them on a mat on the floor)?

would love to know what others do.

thanks.

you DO have to change nappies, no question, but you DON'T have to lift big children.Community playthings make a changing station which has a small ladder built into it,so the cild can climb up,or i guess you can make something similar??

Our bathroom is simply too small for any table of any kind, so we have no option but to change them on the floor, which has been ok with the 'O'people up till now, but i don't know if they will accept it in the future.It does hurt my back doing this as I'm quite tall, but there really is no other option at present.

Hi there

We do change nappies/pull-ups on children aged between 2 and 5. It seems that the number of older children needing this service is on the increase!

We have to use a mat on the floor in the children's and adult toilet area. It is far from ideal and, as you say, terrible for the back. Absolutely no way we can lift children onto the other nappy changing areas for younger children. The Community Playthings ladder sounds brilliant, but will probably be expensive, so no chance of asking for one!

One extra point is that for our room we have to have two changing areas as our setting doesn't have direct access outdoor provision, so we need two of everything, including loads of spare trousers and underwear for those who are (so-called) toilet-trained, one in the classroom area and the other near the door to the garden. It all seems to take an inordinate amount of time and we have schedules, rotas and charts galore!!

I could write a book!

Is there any solution?

Lesley

Whilst I would love the space and the money to enable me to get one of those lovely Community Playthings changing units, we too change children on a changing mat on the floor. Sharing a Village hall means we don't have a dedicated changing room - we have to use the accessible toilet but again Mrs Ofsted seemed happy with our abilities to maintain children's privacy during changing routines :o

Maz

We also change on a mat on the floor, although we do have a table on which to put the mat. This takes place in the bathroom, or if it is busy in the bathroom, we move to the store cupboard floor for space and privacy reasons. However the debate over table or floor is often decided for us by our children, most of whom I assume must be changed on mats on the floor at home. They trot into the bathroom after showing you their bag and grab the mat, put it on the floor and get themselves lay down! They are 2 and 3 year olds by the way.

just wondering what people do when changing the nappy of a child - 2 -4 year olds (as opposed to a baby).

query has arisen as we are reflecting on the provision we have and what we need in our new build.

at the moment we have a changing area in our nursery toilets (which are directly off the nursery room). At the mo there is no changing area on the new plans with a query as to whether we should be changing children at all. I said that inclusive practice means we do have to accept children in nappies and feel that we should change them in the same place that others go to the toilet so we can encourage them to begin to use the toilet as part of the nappy change routine / toilet training process.

then the question arose as to whether we should be lifting children of this age onto a change bench (or laying them on a mat on the floor)?

thanks.

thanks.

thanks.

I suggest you look at Community Playthings as they have a changing table with steps for children to climb up into. It is expensive but ideal for older children.

We use a mat on the floor, I wouldn't want the older children to be at any height or to lift any of them up. The mat is in a seperate changing area.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)