Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Getting Ready For School

I have been asked to do a 4 week course for parents - helping your child to get ready for school. Has anyone any experience of this. I have been asked to do something like 1 week maths activities 1 reading etc. Any ideas anyone?

I have been asked to do a 4 week course for parents - helping your child to get ready for school. Has anyone any experience of this. I have been asked to do something like 1 week maths activities 1 reading etc. Any ideas anyone?

You would do a whole week on preparing them emotionally for the change!

Maz

Thats just the teacher!!! I always forget how hard the first few weeks are as a reception teacher. Good thing do forget or else you wouldnt do it again and again!!!

Thats just the teacher!!! I always forget how hard the first few weeks are as a reception teacher. Good thing do forget or else you wouldnt do it again and again!!!

Bit like childbirth, then Gwen xD (not that I've done it again and again - well three times so it does feel like that sometimes!) :o

Guest budgie1

I always ask the parents to make sure the children can dress, undress themselves, use a knife and fork, hang up their coats, change their shoes, use a tissue! etc etc. You could do a whole session on the social aspects. Also run through the daily routines and what is expected of the parents eg where they drop off, collect, how long they can stay in the mornings etc. I also try and explain the way that we work as many of our parents think once the children are in school they should be "sitting at a desk working!" (and wouldn't our job be so much easier if that were the case!- only joking i love it really honest!) :o

Do you have a Family learning team in your LA - ours do a lot of work with parents around doing things with your child and are a fount of knowledge on this sort of thing. MAybe you could find out and ask for help in delivering?

Cx

What about the 'turning the tv off/taking it out of the bedroom and talking to your child' conversation! Also the saying no to them is ok at home then it doesn't come as too much of a shock at school!!!

sorry to sound moany..but its one of those conversations we have every year after doing home visits!! It is actually a great opportunity to build some links before they start, do you have sessions for the children to come in too, or will your meetings be for parent and child to attend?

Good luck!

Children come to visit and we do home visits. However this is something that i am offering to all the 3-4 year olds on our nursery but they transfer to about 4 different primary schools so i will have to make some things very general and not just how we do it in `our` school.

Thanks for ideas so far.

Guest Wolfie

I agree with Maz about the emotional thing. We're planning three sessions for parents whose children are starting school at our Children's Centre in the summer, in partnership with the schools to which they are transferring, and the emphasis is going to be very much on promoting the children's PSE and fostering their emotional well being and confidence during the transition. We'll also be doing a bit about establishing good routines, e.g. at bedtime and positive behaviour management techniques. We've also got a helath visitor coming to advise on common little worries about hygiene, infections, etc.

I agree with Maz about the emotional thing. We're planning three sessions for parents whose children are starting school at our Children's Centre in the summer, in partnership with the schools to which they are transferring, and the emphasis is going to be very much on promoting the children's PSE and fostering their emotional well being and confidence during the transition. We'll also be doing a bit about establishing good routines, e.g. at bedtime and positive behaviour management techniques. We've also got a helath visitor coming to advise on common little worries about hygiene, infections, etc.

Do you do the same for 'children' starting sixth form Wolfie? :o Sounds like my daughter could have done with that.... xD

Maz

Guest Wolfie

I think it's OUR emotional well-being that needs more fostering by the time we get to that stage....... :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)