Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Alliteration

Our children love making up silly sentences with the sound of their first names. In my previous setting, we made a display using the children's photos, and the sentence written underneath.

eg Ben bakes bananas beautifully! Daisy dances daintily daily!

We make 'pretend' soup in the kitchen, silly soup using only things beginning with a chosen letter,

D silly soup, ingredients = Dollies, Duplo, dinosaurs, dragons, etc

Edited by Guest

Guest budgie1

There is a wonderful book called Animalia by Graeme Base (ISBN 0-14-054112-8) . It is an alphabet type book with hundreds of things beginning with each letter drawn beautifully, eg eight enormous elephants expertly eating easter eggs, wicked warrior waps wildly waving warlike weapons, great green gorillas growing grapes in a gorgeous glass greenhouse. My class love looking at the pictures and seeing how many things they can spot beginning with each letter. after looking at the book we make our own class book with each child taking a different letter to draw and write a "silly sentence". The children love it!

Edited by budgie1

• 2 weeks later...

We all sit in a ring and say a word such as hat then the person sitting next has to say something that rymes and continue round the ring.

Another game is again sit or stand in a ring with a ball and one child says a word and throws the ball to there chisen person to say something that rhymes.

You can develop children's awareness of rhyme and alliteration through simple (non time consuming!! resource making) activities such as lining up, sending them to activities etc. If your name rhymes with Delia - children soon start recognising the rhyme for the their friends name - Amelia. Tiny tippy toe .... Tom for alliteration. I think some children need lots of modelling before they pick it up, and can't cope with games like the 'pebbles' game from Progression in Sounds, but will pick it up if it's part of daily life.

• 5 months later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

Has anyone got any good books for alliteration and rhyme (Phase 1 Letters and Sounds) - I know I am being lazy but I have had no training either!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)