Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundations Of Literacy

Hi there,

I'm not overly confident with early literacy development, and so I ordered this book after reading some stuff about it being used in a school in Cornwall (Camborne, I think).

So far I'm really impressed, as it's going to have quite an impact on my teaching next year, I think (YR). It makes you think carefully about all the aspects that feed into literacy development. Chapters are 'Learning to listen', 'Time to Talk', 'Music, movement and memory', 'Storytime', 'Learning about Print', 'Tining into Sound', 'Moving into writing' and 'Switching on the Searchlights'. It's quite an easy read, too, and has real ideas for teaching the different strands (real as in even I can imagine myself being able to deliver them!)

It cost £17.95, but fortunately I asked my literacy co-ordinator for it and she said yes! I'm going to be doing so much oral storytelling and drama work next year, I can't wait!! :)

Dianne xxx

That's settled then, I'll have to get it as well. :o

BUT will have to hide the bill and get to the credit card payment before hubby finds it. xD I think i spend more on resources than I earn :(

Judging by the article in EYE this month about the book, and the fact that is't co-written by Ros Bayley, I would say so, Leo and Hali. Perhaps one of the members who has read it could do a review?

Don't want to be going on about it again - but yes, I think it's very suitable for Foundation 1 as well as 2.

Dianne xxx

Looks like another book to add to my enormous collection too. Interesting, worthwhile and relevant literacy ideas are always welcome. I find literacy a little tricky, trying to marry all the elements in a fun 'play' way, whilst ensuring our literacy co-ordinator is happy.

Thanks for the recommendation. :D

Harricroft.

• 1 month later...

My copy of the book was here when I arrived back from holiday and I couldn't put it down ! ...my other half just couldn't understand why I wanted to work straight away...as he was lazing with the Sunday paper! This will be a very useful book to persuade Heads / SMTs and Lit Coor about how Reception Literacy should be...very refreshing ! Loads of practical ideas you can just dip into or read all the way through as I ended up doing !

• 3 weeks later...

It's gone on my latest book list. My problem is that I have such a stack of books piled up, and no uninterrupted time to read them.

I just told my husband that I want a morning next weekend to go to a coffee shop alone and just read! Whenever I try that at home, I end up with two children on my lap, insisting that Charlie the Caterpillar or The Paperbag Princess is a far more interesting read than my book! xD:(

My only hope is to escape with my pile of books and read them somewhere where nobody can find me. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)