Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Language Development

Hi

I'm trying to put together a questionairre to parents about how their child developed language, any problems along the way, what they were like when they were a baby etc... just having problems putting the questions together... i need the information for a degree assignment... has anybody got any ideas what questions i could ask? I want to make sure they write something not just yes and no answers....

Hi

Can someone point me in the right direction for the all about me form, i have been in the resource library but cant find it... i have also put it in the search button but nothing comes up... what am i doing wrong

Thanks just ordered the DFS publication but the chatter one is out of stock but did manage to order the chart.., thanks for the links... thats great. thankyou

For my current OU course for the FD, I am looking at a topic on physical development. Within it, it mentions that difficulties with movement may be a sign that a child has difficulties with mathematical and language work, eg child may have dyspraxia. Bottom shuffling rather than crawling may be a sign of reading and writing difficulties for some children at a later stage. This suggests that practitioners need to know as much as possible about a child. Can let you have the references to follow up if you are interested.

This reminds me about something in my last course (E123) about growth and maturation - how missing out the crawling stage can affect how children's brains work - something like that - obviously learnt that bit well!! Not!!

Thats really interseting Deb. My niece was a bottom shuffler then had speech problems.

My youngest son didn't like crawling and just started walking just before he was 9 months what does that mean? Trouble that is what it means!!!!!

Yes I would definitely like to know more.

Ok so have dug out my books. This may only be relevant to some children. I am not an expert I just found it interesting, I like to know reasons behind things!

taken from the Reader for E123

Perceptual-motor development

'Children who don't crawl very often can't crawl. As a result they lack early sequencing and coordination practice.....

....Often children who haven't crawled have reading difficulties, sometimes dyslexia. This is because they have missed out on sequencing practice ie moving their limbs in the correct order imprinting a pattern of sequential movement into the brain. These omissions are also regularly found in children with dyspraxia (Macintyre 2000).'

Macintyre C (2000) Dyspraxia in the Early Years, London: David Fulton Publishers

Taken from Study Topic 12, E124, OU

Difficulties with movement may be a sign that a child has difficulties with mathematical and language work, eg child may have dyspraxia....... Bottom shuffling rather than crawling may be a sign of reading and writing difficulties for some children at a later stage. (Wetton, 1998; Goddard Blyth, 2000; Maude, 2001).

Wetton P (1998) Physical development in the Nursery and Infant School, London, Croom Helm

Goddard Blyth S (2000) First steps to the most important ABC' Times Educational Supplement 7 Hope this is a link to the article = Januaryhttp://www.tes.co.uk/search/story/?story_id=329510

Maude, P (2001) Physical Children, Active Teaching: Investigating physical literacy, Buckingham, Open University Press.

Perhaps we should ask parents on our registration forms whether children crawled or bottom shuffled?

Must say my boys both crawled and yet they have dyslexia. My daughter crawled but very early 7 months and I expected her to walk earlier but she didn't until 11 months. Perhaps she missed out a stage of sitting, as she was thought to be dyspraxic. I was very keen for her to stay put being my 3rd child but she had other ideas.

Food for thought!

Edited by Deb

Thanks Deb

Its quite fascinating isn't it, especially when I actually know a child which completely matches this description. In fact on thinking about it there are probably several.

I know a child at the moment who has great trouble jumping (age 3) I shall watch their development with great interest to see if maybe they might be following this pattern.

I suppose you could have a question about their development in your registration pack asking for stages etc sitting up, crawling, walking, talking asking for further info with each one. Can't remember if we ask about this, probaby not in this much detail.

My eldest son was a commando crawler, just used to drag himself along with his arms for months!!!

Hi

Can someone point me in the right direction for the all about me form, i have been in the resource library but cant find it... i have also put it in the search button but nothing comes up... what am i doing wrong

i Simcity, hope you've found the link to the resource section. just wanted to say you are not doing anything wrong with your search, I had this problem and learnt that the search doesn't recognise words of 3 or less letters (ie: all & me) so that is why it didn't work. :o

Peggy

When I did Speech Therapy many years ago we always took a thorough case history, including all these kind of areas. I've been thinking, recently, that there's an argument for doing something similar in Early Years, especially as there's so much more responsibility on us now with regard to things like SEN.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)