Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Write Dance

what do people think about write dance? Our reception teacher used to use it but sold her stuff on as she didn't think it was that good. I'm in Nursery and would be interested in what others think about it.

Thanks.

Ive been using the nusery version with my rising fives and I quite like it. Its only takes a few minutes and the children do seem to have improving pencil control and I dont follow it up as throughly as perhaps I should but they love using the movements in shaving foam!

I have used it at playgroup and it got even reluctant writers going. The songs on the CD are a bit peculiar and the singing quite dire in parts. (Sorry, not very polite!!) but the children didn't notice. It would take up a lot of time to follow up as stated in the book but as an occasional activity it is very good. :o

I went and observed a teacher in another school using the original write dance and thought it looked great and the children seemed to really enjoy it. So we bought the nursery one for use in our foundation unit and haven't been quite so enthused. As said already the music is really odd. I think I need to have another really good look at it and try it again. The children enjoyed some of it and liked scrimbling, but seemed to get a bit fed up after a while. I would be interested to hear how other people use it. We were using it in P.E. and now think we could possibly us it as a warm up.

Elfy

x

We looked at it and I know that Solihull Schools use it. Found penpals for handwriting better though.

This looks great surfer, can you explain a bit more about how it is used? The website doesn't show any examples (or I didn't see them!), but I like the fact that it concentrates on developing gross, and then fine motor skills before moving on to pattern making and learning basic letter shapes.

I went back and had another look - there's a sample page of the Foundation 1 teacher's book:-

http://www.cambridge.org/uk/education/prim...54984p28-29.pdf

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Hi have just got back on line. Husband connected his PS3 and messed up the internet!!!

We have always done writedance in reception and nursery. The music is not good so we decided to find our own music and put the movements to them. yesterday we were dancing to saturday night fever, the other week we used Mika. My Nursery nurse has set all this up its great fun. We invited the parents in the other week and they did writedance wiht their children! Now they understsnad the scrimbles that go home and some are even doing it at home as the music is up to date.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a hgue difference between the different editions of write dance? Just looked it up on Amazon to see if it's worth investigating further, and the prices range from £20 to £117! Does one come with CD Roms/DVDs etc? They look exactly the same in the picture. :o

Tracylu

I think I paid about £25 for the nursery edition book and cd. You pay more if it is hardback and has a dvd but still not as much as £117......maybe they are in the used and new section which they can charge anything they like. i think the most I have seen it for is about £49.99 for a hardback edition.

We use write dance with Nursery and Reception on an as needed basis. I did quite a lot in PE at the start of the year with my reception children and now we are going to work with the Nursery children using the Reception children as good models(!). We have found write dance useful and have recently purchased an additional one for Nursery but as previous posts have said I dont really use the follow up bits as I should!

I used write dance for the nursery last year and it did impact on the children's writing. I think its great, they don't mind the singing and after a time, you can use just the music version, or if clever enough make your own words. I'm sure I paid less than £20 for mine. I made large chalkboards (I think A2 size) which the children really enjoyed using as an alternative to paper. It was the management that we found tricky, because it does require space and we found we couldn't do the 'scrimbling' part as a whole class. We used ribbons and scarves and I was very surprised how much the boys enjoyed it...it certainly got them going..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)