Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds

Dear all

I have to do a presentation to promote the use of phase 1 from letters and sounds to pre-school settings. Any ideas on how to describe the phase so it will motivate the staff to use it?

Guest MaryEMac

Hello and welcome to the forum.

We have only just received our letters and sounds pack and our advisor told me to put it on the shelf for the moment and she will come out to us in the summer and go through it with all of the staff. I did have a quick browse and most of it we are doing already. I havn't got any ideas for a presentation but there is bound to be someone along with some ideas.

Mary

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Have you got access to a DVD player? You could play the DVD which has some lovely clips on it with good ideas. Perhaps you could look at some of the clips and ask the staff to think of other ideas around each of the aspects.

I have been using it for a while now and we all like the activities, both staff and children.

Linda

I have had to do this sort of thing twice in the last term - once to staff at school and once to parents. I created a handout summarising what it was all about and then I got the audience involved in doing some of the activities. I also talked about how we implement it in the nursery including 10mins a day with everybody involved and leaving resources out so that children can revisit duing free play. My children particularly love the silly soup game which is shown on the DVD.

Elfy

x

I've just had to do the same thing with our pre-school staff as they were unsure of what was expected. I made a powerpoint (which i will try to get on here for you) which broke down the 7 aspects in Phase 1.

The main thing i did was demonstrate how to carry out an activity using the resources. the staff felt better when they realised that they were already doing a lot of phonics!

i'll try to add the powerpoint now - fingers crossed! Good luck to you

Moo

Sorry it said upload failed. you are not permitted to upload this type of file.

I've just had to do the same thing with our pre-school staff as they were unsure of what was expected. I made a powerpoint (which i will try to get on here for you) which broke down the 7 aspects in Phase 1.

The main thing i did was demonstrate how to carry out an activity using the resources. the staff felt better when they realised that they were already doing a lot of phonics! They also came to watchme teaching phase 2 phonics which helped them realise why they were doing certain activities etc.

i'll try to add the powerpoint now - fingers crossed! Good luck to you

Moo

you could get the staff to consider which aspects they might already be planing for without knowing e.g do they plan regularly for story time to include noises etc when telling the story to the children which would be one of the aspects embedded into daily practise rather than a bolt on, do they plan regularly for body percussion type activities when singing.....showing that this is part of everyday practice can be reassuring if you just look at what you already do from a different perspective. However the need to consciously ensure it is there daily is the maybe the next step....?

Cx

Sounds good - could you pm it to people on request? Or can it go in the resources section?

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I am new to this and not sure if I am doing it right. I am not sure if it is available in hard format but You can download phase 1 from

www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/local/clld/resources/letters_and_sounds/phase

Killowengirl

Edited by killowengirl

Hello I am new to this and not sure if I am doing it right. I am not sure if it is available in hard format but You can download phase 1 from

www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/local/clld/resources/letters_and_sounds/phase

Killowengirl

Welcome to the Forum, killowengirl!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)