Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sessional To Full Day Care

Help please.

We want to remain sessional pre school, but feel that to implement the increase to 15hrs flexibly we would have to change to full day care (we definately don't 'do babies/toddlers')- ages would be 2.5 years - 4+ yrs. Looking into allsorts of possibilities (including relocation)at the moment, we are in rented hall (not ideal, by a long way!)

Adavantages vs disadvantages of changing our registration from sessional to full day care? Can you help?

Hi all

We are going through it at the moment. We are looking at 8 to 6 all year round. I wish I had read your last posts Shiny that information is very useful. A nice ofsted lady told me to put a variation in registration in writing. We are going to add the differences and how we aim to meet them in with the letter.

Lorraine

just a thought .....our registration is from 2 - 5yrs - had inspection for the last two days and inspector asked me if we have children over 5 yrs (we do as feeder school only takes after 5th birthday) so inspector has changed our provision from 2yrs - 8yrs :o

hi we set up a new playgroup in September and registered for full day care to give more flexiblility we are open 9-3 children come 9-12 0r 9-1 with lunch or 9-2 or 9-3 these sessions are for voucherable children only tues, weds and thurs 1-3 we have 2-3year old non voucher children. any children wanting to do more than 15 hours are charged the equivelent nursery grant rate. this works really well. the national standards are very much the same as sessional care although eyfs is for everyone in sept so there will be no differences. the biggest difference is the cost £155 to be registered.

i would recommend doing it. we are definatly still a playgroup although resgistered for full day care.

angela worrell

Other 'costs' issues are staff may move from part time to full time, from below Tax/NI to above.

Good luck wit your future success.

Peggy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

As I said below I am in the process of sending the letter into ofsted requesting a variation. When any of you applied for this did you keep the original name or change e.g. pre-school to full day care. I just wanted to know if the name can be changed with out having to fully register again.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

i am thinking of changing from sessional to full daycare to offer more flexibility and take advantage of any increased free funding available in september (there might be the 15 hours starting in here in sept 08), and also to allow for possible access to the graduate leader fund.

is there any point applying now? i know it might mean we could start the extended hours in september but with the EYFS and there being no distinction from september will we still need to apply for a variation if we wait til then?

hope someone can help!

Guest Wolfie

I would apply now and get it sorted -you don't have to provide full day care until you want to but at least you'll know you can as soon as you make the decision.

A Childcare Development Officer in your area should be able to give you more advice and guidance.

hi we set up a new playgroup in September and registered for full day care to give more flexiblility we are open 9-3 children come 9-12 0r 9-1 with lunch or 9-2 or 9-3 these sessions are for voucherable children only tues, weds and thurs 1-3 we have 2-3year old non voucher children. any children wanting to do more than 15 hours are charged the equivelent nursery grant rate. this works really well. the national standards are very much the same as sessional care although eyfs is for everyone in sept so there will be no differences. the biggest difference is the cost £155 to be registered.

i would recommend doing it. we are definatly still a playgroup although resgistered for full day care.

angela worrell

Hi Angela, I'd be interested to hear you organise your admissions to accomodate children attending all these hours? This is new territiory to me. I'm sorry I'm being a bit thick, but did you mean that you are open 9-3 every day? but children entitled to the NEG free places can only get free places on a Tuesday? and the younger children come 2 afternoons for 2 hours? Do they pay fees at the equivelent rate of the NEG too? Just trying to work out all implications/possibilities for my group.

Hi

lots of pre-school playgroups moved to full day care, over the past few years

good source of resource can be found from Pre-school Learning Alliance

website - www.pre-school.org.uk

they have useful guide notes on how to expand provision etc

Sue

hi

I have just finished drafting the letter to ofsted and action plan showing how we will meet the additional standards for full day care. will email to chair of committee and hope he approves it and sends it off. then it's the waiting game. i really hope we get it. any ideas of timescales for when we might hear?

Shiny did you send off your request and has it come back yet? positive result?

Thanks,

A x

Hi

lots of pre-school playgroups moved to full day care, over the past few years

good source of resource can be found from Pre-school Learning Alliance

website - www.pre-school.org.uk

they have useful guide notes on how to expand provision etc

Sue

Welcome to the Forum, Sue!

Maz

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the above advice (and the other thread which was linked). I did as you all suggested when we wanted to change from sessional to full - just to run a 5 hour session one day a week. We faxed the letter and action plan off and got a very quick phone call response saying that we could go ahead and the confirmation was in the post!

i wouldn't have known where to start without you so as I said thank you once again for sorting me out

This forum is fantastic value for money and friendly too!

Caro