Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guinea Pigs!

Hi guys, I'm after a bit of advise (as usual)

I've unexpectedly gained some (very sweet) guinea pigs, the owner didn't want them and was going to release them into the wild. I didn't think they stood much of a chance so I said I would have them, as I was going to get some for the boys next year anyway.

They are 2 years old and live in a hutch outside, but I was wondering do they need a cover at night, such as a blanket or some carpet. Any advise would be great, we live north of newcastle so it gets a bit cold. I've put them in the conservatory over night but would like them outside really.

Any general advise and tips would be great.

Many thanks

Sal

definitely cover and it threat of very bad weather would consider bringing them in if only temporarily,

as said veg, fruit occasionally ensure they have a supply of fresh hay as they need this to digest food properly, my son also has a salt lick in the cage which is used a lot.

seeds best avoided as is lettuce but give foods high in vitamin C (sons loves oranges!!, pinched it out of his hand and ran off with it! oh and banana)

Inge

I kept guinea pigs and rabbits for years outside they were always covered up in cold weather. I bought a small tarpaulin from a diy shop - it had eyelet holes in the corners and I screwed cup hooks on the hutch so I could hook the tarpaulin on to ensure it didnt blow off. Mine were great natural recyclers as they would eat most of the vegetable peelings although I was told not to give them the skins off runner beans as they were poisonous to them. They also loved dandelion leaves. In good weather I put them in a run on the lawn and they kept the grass trimmed as well.

Sally

My rabbits love 'flat leaf' dandelions (not the prickly leaves) and I spend most of the spring/summer months on the look out for them. I always carry a plastic bag and collect them whenever I see them, they keep fresh in the fridge for 24 hours, and up to a month in the freezer, but remember to label the bag, the children won't like eating them instead of spinach!!

Guinea pigs have wonderful fur coats to keep them warm. Its the cold wind that can be dangerous to them.

We always cover the front of their cage during these cold, frosty nights and also put a newspaper over the top of their living quarters (on the inside of course) for added insulation. Shredded paper can also be mixed in with the hay.

Its lovely and sunny in Leicester at the moment and they have having fun on the lawn munching on grass and running in and out of some long cardboard tubes.

We placed their run next to our parsley patch (accidently) :( and when we went to get them in they had eaten the lot! :o

All piggies are different, ours don't eat fruit except for grapes and they just adore celery leaves.

They are adoreable animals and can become very tame. My children have them in on towels on their laps every night for a cuddle. They curl up and go to sleep with the children as willing slaves, petting, tickling and rubbing. xD

Ahhh!!!

Thanks for your tips everyone, it's all been very helpful. xD

The boys haave named them Squeakie (very noisy) and Bessie, they are giving them lots of fuss and attention, they like the idea of having them on their laps whilst watching telly! :o , Actually so do I..

Sal