Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gtp

bit of a long shot I think, but is there anyone either doing the GTP or mentoring on the GTP next year?

I have been asked to mentor a year 1 GTP which means I will be teaching year 1 and nursery next year (!) (though hopefuuly not at the same time). It would be nice to be able to compare notes, but Im not aware of anyone mentioning it here before.

Sorry, Leo, that would be really helpful wouldnt it?

The GTP is the Gradaute Trainee Programme. This is where poeple with degrees but no teaching qualification can 'train' on the job, and gain QTS after a year. Usually they would work alongside the teacher/mentor, slowly taking more and more responsibility for the class. But I will bein nursery for some of the week, so my GTP will be on her own and thefore be 'unqualified' teacher for that time. Its very comples, hence my question, as Im still trying to pick my way through all the procedures and paperwork.

yeeeeeks xD

There was one last year in our school.

But she left bec of insufficieent support.

Hard work bec you will heave to teach them 'on the job'

Also a cheap way fo getting people intot eh classroom bec schools are paid a HEFTY amount to taking them on.

Hard work mundia- hope you have support while supporting the GTP. :o

Hi Mundia

I trained on the GTP scheme a couple of years ago. I had already worked teaching TEFOL to small children in France for 6 years and am also a qualified Montessori teacher. This meant that getting up in front of a class was not a scary prospect. I found the worst part was all the prep. I had to do to satisfy the Uni. I felt as though I need to type two sides of A4 planning if I thought I'd cough in front of the class. How I'd do it, what they'd perceive, how I would assess the perceptions etc etc. That side of it felt like total overkill. My mentor was in the parallel class of our open plan room so that made communication very easy and we did all our planning together. She observed me teach every other week and I was observed on a monthly basis by the uni. Also during the year I needed to sit and pass QTS tests and write 3 assignments. Fortunately my husband was very supportive during this period. I did find teaching, studying (especially all the paper work - individual detailed lesson plans to be written up for every session) and managing being a wife and mother rather a challenge. I remember lots of people saying how tiring the NQT year is. After the GTP it felt like a breeze! If you want any comment from another mentor, I could ask my former colleague who's now retired ( not as a result of the experience!) to get in touch. If your GTP candidate needs any support do shout!

Angela

I'm just starting to break down the Training and Professional Development Forum into separate sub groups, since there's so much variety in the training area.

If you think there would be many people discussing GTP issues, I could make a dedicated forum for that. What do you think? :)

Thanks for that, Angela. Im going on a mentor training course on Thursday, so Im hoping to become 'enlightened' :o

I know its going to be hard work, not helped by my only working part time anyway. I will tell my GTP, if she needs a friendly ear. I dont think we know anyone else doing it yet but Im sure there will be others in the cluster. I dont think the Head appreciates the work involved, and like Leo said, it is a way of getting a cheap teacher. Unfortuntaly because my GTP will have her own class, we dont get ANY funding for her.

ho hum, I can feel a really steep learning curve developing....

hey that one snuck in when I wasnt looking Steve. :o

It was a bit of a long shot that anyone would have the faintest idea what I was on about- thankfully, some people do. But whether or not theere is enough interest at this stage, Im not sure. Once the GTP takes off more in other parts of the country, then perhaps there will be more of us. Same applies to the RTP, similar issues.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)