Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Poorly Sick!

feeling sorry for myself today got a bit of a chest infection but dragged myself to work for the early shift till someone could take over. very cold weather combined with the chest infection triggered a small asthma attack thankfully my OH was there as he is our domestic Goddess/God? i was a good girl and took my medication and went home to bed.

What I want to ask is how other small groups ,we start at 7.30 with our before club manage cover? I have so far not been able to get much stand in and does the EYFS mean that stand ins will all have to be suitably qualified for the job role? I suppose they will as our local PSLA is advertising for qualified people to do cover work for training ETC .At a cost we will not be able to afford I shouldnt wonder.

I will be more cheerful tomorrow I promise.

sue

we also struggle too, all our bank staff are unqualified. I will soon be looseing a qualified member of staff, and cant afford to replace her.

This will mean i will have a level 5, a soon qualified level 3, a level 2 and an unqualified. Just hopeing ofsted let me stay open :o .

It does worry me if im sick as ive no one to cover me.

We are sessional and term time and i do find it hard to get staff.

My level 2 and unqualified are sooo experienced, i wish that would count.

wishing you a speedy recovery

we operate on hie ratios all year, so if one is off sick there is usually another to cover us, or if not we are still legal with the remaining staff, I know not everyone can afford this but while we can we will continue this way, children obviously benifit from the extra staff and committee agree it is the best way for us to cope. if we can get cover we do but it is not 'the end of the world' if we don't.

eg 3 staff to 16 children so if one is off ratios are still legal if not ideal. I have had a lot of time off recently and it seems to have worked for them, but all are level 3 and 1 level 5 .

Inge

we operate on hie ratios all year, so if one is off sick there is usually another to cover us, or if not we are still legal with the remaining staff, I know not everyone can afford this but while we can we will continue this way, children obviously benifit from the extra staff and committee agree it is the best way for us to cope. if we can get cover we do but it is not 'the end of the world' if we don't.

eg 3 staff to 16 children so if one is off ratios are still legal if not ideal. I have had a lot of time off recently and it seems to have worked for them, but all are level 3 and 1 level 5 .

Inge

We also have over and above ratio numbers to cover sickness. 7 staff members and up to 40 children a session. Also luck that 5 out of 7 are level 3. I can understand it would be hard to get cover, especially at short notice, ie with illness.

thanks for kind regards went into work today couldnt get cover will try to go to docs tomorrow.

glad others also have trouble with cover I thought it was just me! we do have higher ratios in the am sessions at pre-school but everyone is ill this week and it has been hard to juggle and stay within the legal requirments.

sue