Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Why Are They Just Playing?!

Hi Juicy Lucy, it was the 'In my view' article on the back page. Nursery World March 27th 03. It was titled 'And what did you do at pre-school today?' by Sue Heard, pojects manager for the Worcestershire Pre-school Learning Alliance. Sorry you could'nt open it. I did think at the time that it might be a little beyond my computing skills! :o

I typed it up and displayed it at playgroup. For those of you who haven't read it here it is: -

AND WHAT DID YOU DO AT PRE-SCHOOL TODAY?

By Sue Heard, projects manager for the Worcestershire Pre-school Learning Alliance

‘What did you do at pre-school today, darling?’

‘Well, I sat at the dough table and rolled the dough in my hands. Lucy said hers was a snake but mine, mine was a worm. The lady talked about long ones and short ones, and fat ones and thin ones, and Mummy, Sarah rolled dough so, long it went right over the end of the take. And no-one said, “What are you going to make – a cake would be nice”.’

‘Yes, but then what did you do?’

‘I played on the climbing frame and, do you know Mummy, I can climb to the very top step.’

‘Yes, but did you do anything today?’

‘Sarah and me went to the paint table. It was lovely; all gooey and slippery in our hands, and we made lots of patterns with our fingers and elbows. Sarah had yellow paint and I had red, and Mummy, do you know what, we rubbed our hands together and it was magic – the paint went orange! And no-one said, “What a mess you made”.’

‘Yes, but what else have you done?’

‘At milk time it was my turn to pour the milk and give the apples out.’

‘And then did you do anything?’

‘I made lovely trailly patterns in the sand and Sarah and I had a race to see who could put the sand in the sand wheel quickest.’

‘But then did you do anything?’

‘At story time I was so tired so I sat on the lady’s lap and the story was about a caterpillar – and do you know what Mummy, caterpillars turn into beautiful butterflies!’

‘So did you do anything today?’

‘We sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to Nicholas and counted the candles on his cake.’

‘But did you do anything today?’

‘Yes, when the lady said it’s time to tidy up, I quickly painted you a picture ‘cos I knew you’d say, “What did you do at pre-school today?”’

Thanx for that, Ive actually got a copy of it from this site a while ago. Its a good idea to display it though and think I might just do that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)