Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advance Warning

beth1

I was reading another forum when I spotted something interesting. :o

Just to let you know that next Wed 5 Mar, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm Whistleblower is going to be looking at how easy it is to get a job in childcare with any qualifications or experience putting the children's welfare at risk.

This sounds just like that Panarama (sp) programme a few years ago. xD

Beth

If it's the same programme I'm thinking of, it's mentioned in Nursery World today...

The programme has sent a researcher into a nursery where they have previously had inadequate Ofsted's and also suffered the death of a child on their premises.

According to NW, the staff member did not have any references checked or a CRB check carried out - hmm.

Still, it's another blow for the industry and all the good work that does go on in nurseries - why don't they do a programme on the positive side of childcare?

hear hear Linda.....

although i find these programmes interesting, i am sad that it can paint a picture of all nurseries as being like the one which will be shown.....

it is a little bit like the last time there was a programme on nurseries ands staff mistreating children (dragging them by arms, throwing on floor etc... all clearly terrible practice), but that programme made so many parents wonder what really does go on in nursery.

now i, and im sure everyone else, can pretty safely put their hands on their hearts and say nothing like this (physically abusing children, and not following up references etc) DOES NOT happen in my setting, so although i think the programme will be interesting id rather a programme that showed the good sides of nursery life.

that's my pennies worth anyway!

Because that doesn't make interesting news Maz!

I hate living in a society that finds only the worst news is something worth listening to.

Linda

Yes I too read the NW article about the 'whistleblower' programme covering this story, and thought, oh no, bad press again.

What should be sounded out loud and clear from the programme is the failure of OFSTED to regulate properly, they knew this setting had poor practice when they investigated the death and rated the setting inadequate. The NW aticle states that the setting owners Leapfrog Nurseries have now closed the setting, due to among other problems difficulty with staff employment.

I am a prime example of Ofsted bad practice, they gave me an inadequate across care and education in 2003 (although I must add it was a totally flawed inspection but won't go into that). My points being are that

1/ At the time I said to the inspectors that if I am that bad they should close me, their response, no I can turn my practice around and improve within 6 months, telling me they would re-inspect, unnanounced within that time.

2/ They didn't re-inspect care standards until 2 YEARS LATER, and Education standards until 3 YEARS LATER.

Totally inadequate on the part of Ofsted. It is their role to ensure ALL settings are meeting the standards at ALL times.

Peggy

Oh how I agree with Peggy's comments in relation to the failure of OFSTED.

The history of the nursery concerned illustrates (in my opinion) that children attending the nursery were at risk in a number of areas of provision for some time and OFSTED should have taken whatever action necessary to prevent this!

The nursery is fairly local to me and has therefore featured highly in the local press from time to time. The nursery opened in 2001. The OFSTED inspection in September 2004 was 'satisfactory' overall but 3 areas were classed as having 'significant weaknesses'. They were inspected again not quite a year later in August 2005 and again received 'satisfactory'. This inspection report details 2 complaints received by OFSTED - one related to a child injured and OFSTED undertook a number of visits to the nursery whilst the investigation was ongoing and concluded the provider had taken appropriate action and remained qualified for registration. A second complaint concerned the handling of children by a member of staff - the nursery agreed to arrange staff training in behaviour management and OFSTED decided this was appropriate and no further action by them was necessary.

The nursery was inspected again in november 2006 and received satisfactory for education and inadquate for care - again a complaint had been received (in April 2006) about a 'serious incident' and the report states an investigation is being conducted and the outcome will be included in the next inspection report.

In January 2007 they had another inspection and received satisfactory for education and care. In December 2007 they had another inspection and received inadequate for education and care and notice of action to improve.

I am just staggered by the history of this setting, 3 members of staff were arrested and charged with child cruelty in 2004 but the CPS decided there was insufficient evidence and the charges were dropped. When the 10 month old baby tragically died after choking on a piece of apple at the nursery the press reported that OFSTED immediately suspended the registration whilst an investigation was conducted. Registration was clearly 're-instated' at some point and I really wonder why!

Even now, OFSTED have given the nursery notice of action to improve and they remain registed with OFSTED it is the owner who has decided to close the nursery - the decision has been made in view of the findings of the documentary programme due to be shown next week and in view of the inadequate OFSTED report. I think the owner at least deserves some credit for taking this decision but if it was left to OFSTED they could still be operating.

I do think such programmes highlight bad practice and I so wish they would do a positive programme but sadly that doesn't make good 'news' or 'interesting' television viewing. Having said that, without this programme, would the nursery have closed or would they have carried on and repeated their history of getting 'satisfactory' in a few months time??

I do intend to watch the programme but I am tempted to watch it with no volume and treat it as an 'observation' and see what I think of the practice I see shown.

Sorry didn't mean this to be a rant! but like of all of us here I am passionate about what I do and find it heartbreaking that there are settings who simply don't come up to the mark :o

I think you have every right to rant Geraldine, as you are in the same area as this nursery, you will be affected, a ripple effect is natural from this type of situation, parents will be more guarded, less trusting and concerned about their childrens welfare. This is only natural for parents when this type of behaviour is bought to their attention. Even parents who are really happy with their good/excellent settings, this encrouches on their 'guilt' feelings for not being at home with their children etc etc.

What a shocking history for this particular setting, how could they have missed the warning signs, I know, it's about accountability and money, ofsted, I believe neglected their duty of regulation here, at the detrement to children and other 'good' providers and parents peace of mind.

Peggy

Apologies Maz-I did just see the avatar and think it was yours.

And I fully agree that it is OFSTED who should be taking some of the responsibilty here as well as the owners. The attitude that "we don't like to close a setting" is wrong in my opinion. To be given one chance to improve is fair enough but this nursery seems to have had a few chances and that is not acceptable.

Linda

No Geraldine you have the right to rant away. What an interesting insite to the nursery history, however I have been in my children's rights module lecture today. I mentioned this brefily and the first thing that springs to our minds was that these young children through OFSTED is that their basic children's rights to a safe, caring envrioment taking into account the Every Child Matters (ECM), this looks like it hasn't been met with contual OFSTED inspections.

We were also talking about the reasons behind ECM green paper and reading the history of the nursery it could have been soo similar to Victoria Cimbie (sp) in terms of lost chances to make changes for the children's saftey in the nursery.

Beth

Sorry had not seen this post. Why is it ALWAYS private nurseries getting slated???? Why dont the BBC do a positive programme in early years education. This is an invitation to any TV producers to come to my nurseries!!!!!