Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Please.

hi guys would like your advice on my next step, before i jump with both feet. at the mo i`m working as a temporary classroom assistant in reception,i have been there since easter.i was employed as the other classroom assistant left,she would have been employed for the year and had been at the school several years. i work along side another classroom assistant who is also on atemporay contract since christmas.

next years list has been handed out and she has the post of reception c/a. i have no hours of yet but there is aplace in y6.

Is it a case of first in gets the job? we would both be without apost if the other c/a hadn`t left . it can`t be qualifications as i am nneb, andmy friend isn`t qualified at all.

she is great and we get along really well, it is just that she has been treated totally different to me. i was only invited to the meeting so i didn`t feel left out? last week she was asked if she was happy where she was and that was it.

sorry about this i hope it makes sense,i just need to know if this how it is .her contract was for longer so she gets the job.

thanks maddy.

hi there maddy. I think you need to speak to the Head to clarify the situation. Im not clear if you are both working part time doing te job of the person that left, or were you both taken on full time but in different roles. Also when does your contract finish- is it before hers? Were you ever given the impression that the job would continue in September. Unfortunately Heads do have the right to move staff around as they see fit- I was once moved out of nursery nto year 1 without any consultation. My Head is always telling not to asume that I will have the same support staff from one year to the next.

What I cant understand in your situation is if there has been 2 of you, why does the school only need one from September?

I think you wll have a simple choice- take the move to year 6, or look for another job. Not a nice choice if you like the school, but if you really want to work in Foundation, then you may have to look for somehting else.

Maddy, I'm not aware that there are any hard and fast rules on this. As NNEB you would seem to me to be the person to keep in Reception but thats only me! Perhaps they are worried that you would then demand to be paid as NN.

I suppose the other CA has some security of tenure having been there longer but if you are both temporary theres really not that much difference.

Unfortunately it seems to be the perogative of some heads to move their staff around with very little consultation.

I suspect though that you are potentially too expensive to keep in Reception but I guess you will have to ask. Have you been offered the Yr6 job. On the other hand perhaps you should find a school will appreciate you for the skills you can offer as a NN and pay you accordingly.

Good luck.

By the way is this the school your children attend? Could that be a complicating factor. If so, is it all going ok?

it is the school that my children attend, which is one reason why i would like to stay.

also the teacher has turn the class around regarding learning through play.i think she is gaining convidence to take this further and would like to be part of it. If i go for a job at another school will i be trapped in the world of the work book!!

i have got to go some where ,because come sept i don`t have ajob!

maddyx

sorry mundia i didn`t see your post, answering your question, there was a second recepton class formed for the christmas intake ,my friend was employed tempory for 2 terms only as are the teachers(job share) for this class. my post was for one term as CA for the permanent reception teacher. we work as a team ,splitting into classes for registar , circle time etc.

there will more than likely be a job in january if they have enough children to form the second class.

maddyx

I'm curious, what happens to the january reception teacher(s)/support staff in september, are they only employed for 2 terms? This seems very short sighted of the head as it can hardly create a stable and developing ethos in the school let alone in FS if you have new people every year. Are you employed from september then? I lost the thread a bit there! It is not unusual for support staff to be moved as required, and this would be seen as a management decision based on the needs of the school, which may or may not be financial ones, but if you're not clear about the situation you should talk to the head about it and find out what the situation is. I hope they listen properly!!

well i was brave and spoke to the deputy head on thursday, she is really nice and was very supportive. she has promised to let me know (as soon as she knows!) what is avaliable regarding hours and where next year.

she did ask if i was interested in the yr 5/6 post, i said yes but asked if i did could i move back to reception if they needed a C/A for the new intake in jan.

she has said she would make it known to the new head where my interests and experience lies.

i am really greatful for all your advice and support, thanks mundia and sue,for the encouragement on wed evening to approach the deputy head.

maddy.

hate to say this, but get out while you can. you re obvioulsy not valued as much asyou should be. similar situations have risen in our school. sounds like you re being totally undervalued to me! escape while you can without them getting to you first. sounds very harsh, but best advice i can give