Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observations

Hi, I was just wondering how often every one was observed in their setting? We have an observation every week in our school and think this is a bit excessive? My nerves can't take much more!!!!

Thanks

Rachel

That is a lot. What is the purpose of the observations, and who does them?

I used to try and work with my colleagues on a weekly basis when I was FS co ord and 1 of them objected cos I was taking notes but they were for my own use to remind me what I had seen and how the children responded rather than observations.

The subject coordinators watch you teach their subject, they then do a full write up and give you feedback. It takes a whole day to watch the lessons and then write the report. The reports are then given to the head which we never see.

Our head also watches us for performance management once a week!

No, this is not acceptable, there is a limit to how many formal observations you can have in a year, and there must always be feedback. To be honest I would contact my union, and suggest that other members of staff who are feeling the same do the same.

Well this is the problem, everyone is moaning about it, but no one is doing anything. I'm an NQT and the head is my mentor so I feel that I can't really say anything as i'm in quite an awkward place! Other teachers there threaten to tell their union, but they never do! Were all too scared of our head!

There should be a policy in school. I think the limit is 3PM obs a year.

You need to go to your union for advice, they can not intervene without your permission but you can see sample policies and get advice.

Im not surprised you are feeling stressed. Who teaches the other classes when the teachers are observing so frequently?

I think I would be tempted to leave, 2 days before the resignation deadline to get out this term!

has your school had a poor OFSTED? Even so, sounds totally excessive in terms of observations, not to mention the ongoing budget costs for supply cover and when can anyone get any real teaching done being under the microscope like this all the time is not good for anyone's emotional health- especially not the children.

Do all these observations actually move the learning within the school forwards? presumably each subject co-ordinator then writes a report, but when the observations are so frequent, how can there be any time to action their findings?

Goodness- I don't know how I would cope with all those observations. I definately agree with everyone else- 1 per term or at a push 1 every half term depending on school and what school development plans are. You really do need to contact your union- at the end of the day it's not fair on the children in your class (or you!!) to have a teacher who is constantly under so much pressure!

Good luck! xx

Rachel I know its really very difficult when you are an NQT, you don't want to make waves etc, and especially when your head is your mentor, but as an NQT you must get out to courses and have LA advisers, could you speak t them, as a worry or concern. Even as an NQT you don't need to be observed every week. Having a chat with you union would still help, the head doesn't need to know you have contacted the union, unless they step in, but all of you need to decide if this is the way forward for your school, and you all need to be strong to do something about it.

best of luck with it.

Hi Rachel.

What a horrible situation to be in. The limit for performance management observations is 3 X1hr sessions. Most schools in my area just done one hour long observation per year (I usually have two 30 minute observations in the Summer term cause being in Recpeption don't teach the usual one hour lessons). Occasionally subject leaders so observe particular lessons however this is not often - I have not had one of these observations since I have been at my schoo which is 2.5 yrs now - and when they are undertaken there should always be a focus which is linked to SDP/SEF etc.

As an NQT you should be having an observation each half term - once a week seems totally excessive and a complete waste of time. I am currently mentoring a GTP student and I am observing her 3 times each week. However head has to observe with me at least once each helf term and that has been a nightmare to try to organise. I cannot see how your head can possibly give up a day out of each week to observe all the teachers in the school? Plus, as already mentioned the time taken to write up the ob and give feedback must take about a day too.

If you do feel unable to talk to your head then I think the only options for me would be either to get the union invovled or to resign. There is no way anyone can have owenership over their class and perform to the best of their ability when they are under so much pressure.

Hi Rachel, I agree with everyone else and think this is absolutely OTT. Also agree to contact union.Have done this before and it was really useful to have a chat with someone impartial. It is your right to see any observational notes made. Am so sorry that you are having this very negative experience. Not all schools are like this! luluj

Totally unacceptable. Talk to the union, talk to your NQT coordinator in the LA but do talk to someone. There are clear guidelines for performance management obs but I think other obs come under general "moving school forward" and are less regulated. However there is still a reasonability clause I think. Have you looked at the teachers pay and conditions document, should be available online.

Good luck

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)