Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Potatoes Arrived Today

Hi Guys, my free potatoes arrived today, so many thanks to LJW for her link back in January.

Also got a voucher to buy some tubs, so we are going to have some fun in a couple of weeks.

Hope others have got theirs.

Sal :o

though we did get our trees from the Woodland trust today, so can't be greedy I guess!

So you can't see the potatoes for the trees, eh narnia?

When you say 'trees' what do you mean exactly...?

Maz

(our potatoes arrived today too - children were quite bemused :o )

Mine arrived too! My TA thought I was swearing at her when i said we needed to leave them to chit! Thanks for the link originally. I too was very impressed with the voucher!

Thank you so much. My potatoes arrived on Monday. We got a hedge from the Woodland Trust and I think more of it is due to arrive soon. You are all so kind to share information like this with us all. Thank you, Ruthanane

I got my email today too, can't wait to get planting. We've been planting up pots of pansies for mothers day but it doesn't give the same satisfaction as growing your own veg. Please let me know if anyone knows about any other schemes. Am very disappointed didn't get a hedge from the woodland trust that would have been fab!!!!

I'VE MISSED OUT ON SOMETHING WHATS THIS CHITTING AND POTATOES

Hi dipsydaisydo,

Following a link which was from LJW I think some time ago the British Potato Council (or something) was giving away seed potatoes to schools for their vege gardens. They have been arriving over the past few days it seems.

To prepare the potatoes for planting they need to be left on a window sill for the little sproutings to grow a bit. This process is called chitting and takes about 2 weeks. Then they can be planted out.

Some clever person may provide the link (still can't do it) or you can try and find the previous thread to get the link. The spud people may still be giving the packs away - you can only try!

Hope something makes sense here. :o

Ours arrived today! I really liked the idiot-proof instructions and chuckled that my potato packs were marked with 'passports'!! I'm off to the garden centre tomorrow with my £5 voucher. What sort of containers have you bought? We will have to take ours in and out of Nursery daily....... I'm still wondering about growing them in a thick sack with the top rolled down, so maybe I'll buy some big dishes or trays to sit them on. Hey, perhaps they come on wheels which would be handy.... ooh can't wait. It says we have to plant them on 4 March, how precise!

Good luck everyone.