Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baby Room

What ages do you children on average stay in the baby room?

At the monent our children stay in the baby room until they are between 16 and 20 months depending on the individual childs needs, however the staff who care for our youngest members are struggling to juggle with effectively meeting the needs of the smallies who are 5 months and the wobblers who have an average age of 14 months and are toddling around. There are six children a day in the room all with very different needs.

This has made me think about making changes for September when we have lots of small babies joining us. i am considering having two baby rooms (baby 1 and baby 2) age range 5 - 12 months and 13 - 22 months (obviously these will overlap to a certain extent depending on each individual child) as i feel the rooms can be arranged to better meet both age ranges needs.

I was just wondering how other nurseries work and what you think.

x jojom x

We use to have children age 6 months to 2years in one building mixing together, but have found that around 18 months they need to have that bit more stimulation. we now intergrate them with a small group in the 2 to 3 room for the morning session the term before they are due to move up this has helped the transition between rooms. they are with a familliar member of staff and get to know the new staff

We now move ours out of the baby room at approx 14 mths. We have found their physical and language skills have developed more rapidly after doing this. They move into a smaller room based in our toddler unit, which is virtually the same set up as baby room, but allows them to space to move around without worrying about tiny ones.

I used to work in the baby room about 8 years ago. This was when most babies started at about 3 - 4 months.

We had 3 smaller rooms in our baby section.

Room 1: 3-4 months to confident crawlers(about 8 months)

Room 2: confident crawlers to walking 8 months to 12 months

Room 3: walkers +

They then moved through three stages of the tweenies room as well. Obviously they were only approximate ages, mostly moved on through their stage of development.

I have been in lots of different nurseries and have seen different ways to help the babies develop.

Smaller nurseries have just had a 0-2 room but at around 20 months babies could move in to the toddler room.

A couple of nurseries have a non mobile baby room, moblie baby room up to 15 months old, toddler room of 1-2 years then preschool room.

Larger nurseries have tended to have 0-1 room 1-2 room and then toddler/preschool rooms.

Recently I have noticed that with the longer mat leave babies are not starting until they are at least 8/9 months old so the 0-1/1-2 rooms have joined together due to lack of numbers.

However I would like to see a total number of babies 0-2 in a room is 6, I have worked in 9 and 12 place baby rooms. I have worked and found out that with 9/12 babies of differening ages and 3/4 staff doesn't seem to be personal for the age and the older ones often get left to their own devises. I have noticed that some nurseries in my area as long as space allows it they have 6 babies in 2 rooms with a suitable movement of children depending up on their individual needs.

Beth

I used to work in the baby room about 8 years ago. This was when most babies started at about 3 - 4 months.

We had 3 smaller rooms in our baby section.

Room 1: 3-4 months to confident crawlers(about 8 months)

Room 2: confident crawlers to walking 8 months to 12 months

Room 3: walkers +

They then moved through three stages of the tweenies room as well. Obviously they were only approximate ages, mostly moved on through their stage of development.

I like that system shiny. :o

The nursery I'm in tomorrow has a 5 month old in with a 15 month old where they stay until 2 years.

I have two rooms for babies and toddlers, in September we have quite a big number of children joining us in who are between 8 and 13 months which is why i wanted to try creating environments to suit both the small babies and the children who are on the move. That way i feel that we could better meet the needs of both groups. thankyou for your replies the olny thing im unsure about is that 13 to 23 months is a big age range and im wondering if it would be better for the children to stay in the tinies baby room until around 15 months and then from 15 to 23 months in the older babies room x jojom x

Our baby room is 3 months to 1 year (approx), and then they move up to a 1 year old room. I know exactly what you mean about the different ages and stages with 0 to 2 year olds - we find they are so different just between 0 and 1.

I can vouch for having the 2 rooms if you have the capacity too.