Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Record System

I wonder if anyone can help? With the advent of the new EYFS I'm looking into how I record the children's progress, and if changes in my system need to be made.

Does anyone keep their records on computer.... a click of a button to record that an observation/photo was made of a child in such-and-such stepping stone/area of learning (dated)?

I'm waiting...probably in vain...to see if any national record keeping systems, other than the commercial ones already on the market, e.g. Trackers, for 0-5 are introduced!! :o Our local early years advisory team also think something might be in the pipeline but I'm not holding my breath!! xD

I'm waiting...probably in vain...to see if any national record keeping systems, other than the commercial ones already on the market, e.g. Trackers, for 0-5 are introduced!! :o Our local early years advisory team also think something might be in the pipeline but I'm not holding my breath!! xD

Yes there are Wolfie, there are currently several groups going on around the country putting together something for 0-5, and we are patiently waiting to see what they all come up with rather than trying to invent the wheel ourselves..

My message would be be patient...

Patience isn't always one of my virtues but I'm trying hard this time because I can see that anything I try and develop on my own is going to be so time-consuming! Thanks for the info mundia, where did you hear it?

Edited by Wolfie

I get about a bit wolfie...

Let's not forget though there wont be anything that will HAVE to used by any setting, it will up to individuals to decide what they wish to use, and I certainly wouldn't buy into anything until you've had a good look at what's on offer, especially what's on offer free!

(at least we have decided that we aren't anyway)

I agree with Mundia, I wouldn't pay for any system, a free one usually turns up.

Mind you, if I still had my setting I would not be patient, and devise my own, the main reason being that I would find the process a good way of really getting to know the content of the EYFS and to enable me to put some of the jargon in staff/parent terms. :o I would also involve my staff in the process to help them get to grips with it all.

Peggy

I'm interested to know exactly what you'd like to see in such a system. Is it just an extension of the records Helen made some time ago and put in the resource library? (example here ).

Or is it an automated system where notes can be added to an electronic file in, say, Excel? Or am I missing something and you're after something completely different?

Helen wrote a short article accompanying those resources to explain how she would use them. You can find that here.

It would be useful to know what sort of features you'd like to see. :o

We have the new EYFS pathways up and running down here in Somerset, I'm sure other authorities won't be far behind.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by pathways? :o

My pleasure wolfie - the rest of the forms can be found in the Observations area of the resource library - many of them are now on page 2. :o

I was wondering about 'pathways' as well - shelley are you mixed up with EYPS?

Nope ours are called Pathways down here. They are pretty much like the Stepping stones booklets only with all the pictures and slightly different wording of the EYFS. Have been bought from local authority for £5 on disc and £5 for a hard copy. They look much better than the stepping stones though and hold much more personal information about the children.

Can't believe that other areas aren't up and running already as well.

I am on a long pathway for my EYPS with my final assessment in 2 wks time so unless I have been imagining things, as it does feel like I am in a bleary dreamworld at the moment, pathways are exactly what Somerset call them!!!!!!!!

No, I don't think all settings are supposed to use them but as a newly appointed joint supervisor at my setting its quite nice to know that if I fill these in then I should be doing the right thing. As I get a bit more used to the EYFS I can make adjustments as I see fit. We will be doing a childs individual file alongside it with displays of work etc.

Yes they do cover 0 - 5 so I can start using them for my baby and toddler group if I want to!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)