Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who Does The Planning?

Hi -can anyone help please.

Who does the curriculum planning in a C.C.? Is it solely the teacher or is it a team effort with Nursery staff? I have been to 2 different centres and have so far seen one example of each- how does it work with others out there?

Thanks for any help :o

Hello there Mozart, you will find it will vary from place to place. In ours, our day care, the pre school is a separate organisation and they plan themselves although I support as needed. In another CC I just about to start supporting the CC teacher is doing the planning and the practitioners don't share in that. Im not happy with this situation so I will be looking at ways to involve the people actually working with the children in taking ownership of the planning.

I know we cant answer your questions, you will find that are no 'answers' but each centre develops its own 'culture'

Thanks Mundia.

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head about each centre developing their own culture.

Hope you managed to get your weaning cards sorted!

Have a good weekend.

I used to manage a nursery in a children's centre.

The team working directly with the children did the planning with the support of the teacher.

But YES - it certainly will be different from centre to centre!

In the CC where I am doing part-time temporary, all the pre-school staff meet on a Wednesday. We evaluate the past week together on a pro-forma sheet. Then we plan for the following week based on our evalutation. We all contribute to this planning and decide what we will make available as focus activities (one inside and one outside) and what we will enhance our CP with. The two teachers then write up the focus and enhancement planning, an outdoor plan (handwritten) and group time plan. We have 4 keyworker groups and we plan 4 activities for group time each week, which always includes a music session and a Letters and Sounds session. Our HLTA writes up the music plan. The rest of the group time sessions are then up to individual keyworkers and aren't written down. It works very well and sharing the writing up of planning is really helpful.

I'm still trialling things but have a feeling that more is going to be done by me (as CCT) in the future. We really struggle with finding times to get the staff together for planning meetings and to give the staff any regular non-contact time for completing paperwork.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)