Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Qualification Question

A nursery I have been to in the past have used me in the after school club. I wasnt too happy about it, I know my DPP is for under 8's, but can I be used in an after school club with 9, 10, 11 year olds? I turned down a job there today because I really dont want to be seen to be working outside my area. But I thought I'd check here too. :o

i have a level 3 child care and education which is 0-8 and i manage after school provision. I have done short courses regarding working with older children. For inspection purposes ofsted look for the under 8s care bit more than the over 8s care. However, they do also like to see some playwork background aswell.

lucie x

I believe that if the club has no children under the age of 8, then no formal qualifications re required, if there are children under 8 as well, then only one member of staff needs to be qualified to level 3 in 'an appropriate' way. (this would the the supervisor) Id say you're well and truly covered, if you fancy the work, why not?

I dont fancy the work though!! Been there twice, I dont feel a connection to that age range. And they dont need you. They've been to school all day and want to do their own thing, not have a couple of young, middle aged women cajoling them into playing games.

Thanks though both, at least I know I'm ok for it legally now. :o

On the reverse side of the coin, so to speak, Ofsted allowed me to have a playwork level 3 qualified deputy at my preschool, she covered in my absence. They were happy because she had also had 1st aid, child protection and some EYAT early years workshop training. However, I must admit I don't think this should be the norm, it was the individuals skills as a practitioner that enabled me to feel comfortable at having her as my deputy.

Peggy

Hi Rea (hope you don't mind me butting in here) and anyone else who can answer this!

I know I might sound really thick here but I too have a DPP and have only used it for Pre-school but would like to know if it would 'cover' me (e.g. count me as level 3 qualified) if I went in to a school as a TA in Reception/Yr 1/Yr 2 - what do you think?

Would like to know as it might open a few more doors in where I go next.

Your DPP will be fine for schools Janice. I know there is a L3 TA qualification but i know the DPP is acceptable. Each job spec should throw more light on things but basically you'd be fine. My cousin has a L3 childcare qualification and is a social workers assistant so your DPP would be ok in other areas too. I've seen here in Birmingham adverts for health visitor assistant too, and that was asking for L3, also family learning assistants, learning mentors in secondary schools too, and jobs in SEN schools. :o

Thanks Rea.

I just needed to know what sort of 'age range' I could work with. My understanding is that the NVQL3 covers 0 - 8, but wasn't too sure about how a school would feel about a DPP. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)