Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq Level 2

Hi, This may be a silly question, but there has been much discussion where I work as to whether NVQ level 2 teaching assisstants are allowed unsupervised access to children or not (3 and 4 year olds). I'm hoping somebody here can set me straight and point me in the right direction of the appropriate paperwork that backs this up or not as the case may be. I hope this makes sense.

Andrea

Hi, This may be a silly question, but there has been much discussion where I work as to whether NVQ level 2 teaching assisstants are allowed unsupervised access to children or not (3 and 4 year olds). I'm hoping somebody here can set me straight and point me in the right direction of the appropriate paperwork that backs this up or not as the case may be. I hope this makes sense.

Andrea

Are you talking about leading activities with small groups of children or providing intimate care, Andrea? Only those with an enhanced CRB dislosure can provide intimate or be left alone with children. I don't think there is legislation about the level of qualification needed to do this.

That said, if you mean would a Level 2 practitioner be able to be in sole charge of a group of children (ie there was no Level 3 practitioner nearby or on site at all) then the answer would be no - only a Level 3 is allowed to do this.

I'm not sure this really helps - it depends on what sort of situation you have in mind!

Maz

Are you talking about leading activities with small groups of children or providing intimate care, Andrea? Only those with an enhanced CRB dislosure can provide intimate or be left alone with children. I don't think there is legislation about the level of qualification needed to do this.

That said, if you mean would a Level 2 practitioner be able to be in sole charge of a group of children (ie there was no Level 3 practitioner nearby or on site at all) then the answer would be no - only a Level 3 is allowed to do this.

I'm not sure this really helps - it depends on what sort of situation you have in mind!

Maz

Thanks for your reply Maz. I mean to be in sole charge of a group of 7 children at some times during the day. Most of the time the level 2 works with the level 3 and a group of 7 children. But, the level 3 needs to do individual work with 2 of the children in a seperate room each day leaving the level 2 on her own. The building has four rooms. A qualified teacher and level 3 TA are in two of the rooms next door teaching reception and year 1. The other level 3 will be in a small room opposite. So I wanted the level 2 to work with the remaining 5 children alone. She has got an enhanced CRB disclosure. My level 2 is currently studying for her level 3, but has been told at college that level 2's cannot be left unsupervised with children, hence the confusion.

Ah I see!

I'm in pre-school, and we have Level 2 practitioners leading small group time in a room off the main hall (sometimes with appropriate back up for 'crowd control' purposes :o ). As in your group, practitioners with the appropriate supervisory qualifications are elsewhere in the building. This was evident at our inspection, and Mrs Ofsted certainly didn't tell me it was inappropriate for a Level 2 practitioner to lead small group activities.

I would advise your colleague to check what her tutor meant by her remark - it could be that she meant alone completely and unsupervised by a Level 3.

I would have thought that Level 2 (and unqualified, come to that!) teaching assistants up and down the country are often left in 'sole charge' of small groups when the teacher is occupied elsewhere, or as part of offering children extra support outside the classroom while other things are going on. I think insisting this was only done by a Level 3 practitioner would be highly impractical...

Mind you, I could be wrong - I often am!

Maz

Hi Andrea

My level two assistant takes a small group on her own. They cannot be left without a level three and above practitioner on the site but they can be left to work with children unsupervised.

Linda

I would just add that in our setting, we ensure that no-one is ever on their own with any children - other than when giving intimate care!!! Really to safeguard ourselves from any misunderstandings.

In our setting two members of staff have to be present when giving intimate care.