Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Activity Ideas

Am really glad to have found this site. In september I will be teaching a Reception/Y1 class for the first time. Have always taught Y2/3. I'm a bit excited but mostly terrified and wondered if anyone could recommend some books that will help with planning ideas, activities etc. Thanks in anticipation.

Anne :o

Hi Anne

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and thank you for posting. Welcome also to the foundation stage in your new role-I'm sure you will enjoy it!! :D:D

Linda

HI Anne & welcome.

Is this year group change one of your choice?

I think Reception is the best place to be but you will find it very different from year 2/3.

I'm not envious of your yrR/1 mix though but thats personal. IF your school is play orientated they should be more manageable together.

Not sure what books to recommend though there are loads of good books out there. All the usual publishers have books so probably depends on your school and the exact make up of your class.

You could try a copy of Nursery Education/ Scholastic equivalent to Child Ed and EYE -Early Years Educator to give you a feel of things. And of course here!

Good luck.

have you looked at the website- literacymatters.co.uk they have some books and planning that you can adapt. educate the children also has book ideas and starting points that i fould useful when i taught a mixed rec/yr1 class. All the best. hope you enjoy the experience.

[email=http://www.educate.org.uk/cgi-bin/inetcgi/schoolsnet/home/educate.jsp]http://www.educate.org.uk/cgi-bin/inetcgi/schoolsnet/home/educate.jsp[/email]

[email=http://www.literacymatters.com/]http://www.literacymatters.com/[/email]

Thanks everyone for your welcome and your help. It wasn't particularly my choice but as we were going down from 5 to 4 classes someone had to move so I agreed. Quite looking forward to it really and the head is being very supportive. Just need to get my head round the day to day organisation and I hope I'll be OK! xD . Ill have a look at literacy matters when I have finished this. Supposed to be doing reports so better go and get on .... want to watch the match tonight.

Anne2 :o

what match would that be then Anne? :o

do you know how many of each year group you will have ie whether its an even split? and do you have colleagues that have taught reception before, or will being teaching reception as well next year?

We have had a discussion on this before, and we have some members who have experiencec at planning fro this combination so I hope thstey will be along to give you some concrete advice.

You will fidn the previous discussion

here

plus a more general discussion on planning in reception as a newcomer, here

Hi mundia

Which match?.... that would be telling!

At the moment there will be a 15 YR and 9 Y1 split. No the reception teacher is leaving and so there won't be anyone on site to ask. Will look at the links you posted. Thanks very much. Cant believe how helpful everyone is.

Anne :D

Thanks for the links Mundia I really must perfect that skill!! :D

www.hamiltontrust.org.uk could be useful too.

Have you seen the book "Smooth Transitions" from Featherstone, might make good background reading?

May I give my welcomes to you too!

I thought I'd post, because I too am a R/1 teacher. I took over in January, and so I'm looking forward to September when I shall have the chance to start afresh and I can also get more play based in my teaching- the head and deputy say yes to doing this, and it's part of my newly set performance management targets!

If you need someone to talk to and share with, I'd be happy for you to contact me. Good luck! :)

Thanks for your offer Nichola. I will be in touch soon. Just need to get reports done and out of the way and then I can concentrate on my new role. Actually now that I have found this forum I feel inspired by all the ideas and the enthusiasm that comes across and I am really quite excited about the challenge.

speak to you soon.

Anne 2 :D

Hope to hear from you soon! I finished my reports yesterday and bloody hell it feels good to be done! Just got to add on their new teachers once it's confirmed.

I'm really looking forward to next year, even if I have been told that I'm taking over ICT come September (actually I asked for it, it was that or PE!)

Hope to speak soon,

Nich

x

Well thats good then Nichola, that'd be my choice too in that situation. Hope you don't find yourself overwhelmed with technical problems though as seemed to be the case for the ICT coord in my last school! She was actually more than competent to do that and lots of the problems were caused by the bought- in technicians who I'm sure thought they could mess us around and then charge extra for the call outs over and above the basic monthly visit they were contracted to. But it did rather take over from her role in the classroom and caused the rest of us no end of frustration.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)