Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Enough Experience?

would really appreciate some thoughts from CC teachers out there.

I have 18 yrs teaching experience, but have only just this year gone into Nursery. I love it! Real teaching at last! My other experience is mainly in KS1.

I have spent the last 10 yrs doing family learning, workshops, running a school toy library as my passion is for family learning and involvement.

Have seen a CC teacher job advertised but don't know if I have enough FS exeperience per se. I know a lot about children and how they learn, but what do others think? Will I get an interview or am I too green? Any relies appreciated.

im not a teacher but just readng your post I would say definatly go for it!!! You have the qualification,and you have the PASSION and that is the most important in my view.What hav eyou got to lose? and if they say no then you can learn from that and go and get what they want. :o

Edited by Andreamay

I work with CC teachers in our area and they were required to have 2 yrs experience teaching in FS (may be different for other areas), but as Andreamay said you have the qualification and definately the passion so why not just go for it, even if you feel you dont have enough fS experience they may feel you have the experience and personal qualities to carry out the role and im sure they would provide you with lots of support. There should be a contact number, give them a ring and they might give your more information about the requirements

Good luck

paula x

Hi Mozart, welcome to the forum :oxD

I've been working in a CC lately, they are trying to promote more parental involvement partly through family learning and want to do ome workshops and they have just set up a toy library too, you seem to have everything thats needed. Go for it, and good luck :(

Hi Mozart - I'm a Children's Centre teacher and I would say go for it! You've got a lot of valuable experience and also obviously a lot of enthusiasm and commitment, you've got nothing to lose. I had very little experience qwith the under 3s when I started but I'm learning fast and have had great support and opportunities to develop my knowledge and skills.

Let us know what you decide and keep asking us questions - someone will be able to help you! :o

Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

How different is it to working in school? On TES forum, I have been told that CC teacher's job invovles very little hands on and that's why they are struggling to recruit. Would you agree with this? How much of job is paperwork and how much is front line really making a difference?

Extremely different to working in a school!! You really are part of a multi-disciplinary team and will be on a very steep learning curve as far as that is concerned -you need to get to grips with what everybody's role is and where your knowledge and expertise fits into all that. As far as being hands on, I think everyone works differently and the role is what you make it. You will need to audit the existing provision, assess where you can best make a difference and start from there. It might be that that you need to set up systems of observation, assessment and record keeping...paperwork!...but then spend time hands on, modelling how your work with the children informs all that. Or you might identify something completely different that you consider a priority in making a difference.

It really will depend on the Centre that you're in. Another big learning curve will be your work with the under 3s (I'm assuming!) - your remit will be the 0-5 age group and you will be expected to contribute to practice with all age groups, both in any daycare provision within the Centre and also with any other groups and services that the Centre provides. For example, I shall be working "hands on" in a Baby Signing group for parents that we are running next month, alongside a speech and language therapist who is attached to the Centre. I can't wait! And I also help to run parent workshops on a variety of other topics, alongside the outreach workers.

You need to be good at managing your time and prioritising as your day won't be structured and laid out as it is now. There ARE a lot of meetings and there can be times when you feel bogged down with paperwork - but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're not making a difference, it depends how you define it and what sort of role would give you personal job satsifaction?

I've rambled long enough.....

Edited by Wolfie

Hi Mozart, welcome to the forum.

Wolfie says it all really, it so depend on the CC you are attached to.

In terms of the job, go for it anyway, you never know, you have lots of teh experience that would be useful. But if a lot of the job is supporting provision, then Id say you would nee more experience in FS, and the person spec should indicate that it expects a high level of knowledge about the FS. (otherwise how can you support other practitioners in delivery?). However, if the expected role is more about parents for example, (mine often is!) then you have very valid experience, so once again we get back to what each individual place wants for its CC teacher.

I've been working as a Children's Centre teacher for nearly 2 years and when I attend network meetings and talk to others everyone seems to have different setups eg some centres run their childcare in-house, some have private providers on site, others are attached to schools where how they are run often depends upon the vision and understanding of the headteacher etc. so experience required seems to vary greatly.

I have really enjoyed my time at the Children's Centre and have very much learned on the job. It has greatly increased my knowledge and experience outside the confines of the classroom.

So my advice is give it a go - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)