Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Not Sure Where To Put This....

What is the new ratio in reception and do all keyworkers need to have an NVQ3?

What about TA's can they be Keyworkers responsible for keeping records etc for eg 6 children?

I'm confused how this will effect us with 4 Reception classes and 4 TA's in our Infant school.

Can anyone help me answer these questions?

I dont think there are any easy answers here as it will depend on your school. In many cases the teacher will be the keyworker as he/she is now.

TA's can not be asked to be solely responsible for record keeping when working alongside a teacher?

If your TAs are not stable within your classroom, ie they are shared in any way, they can not be keyworkers?

I was told last week at my EYFS briefing that one of the reasons why the EYFS pack is being reprinted is because some alterations are being made to the required ratios in schools?

I was told last week at my EYFS briefing that one of the reasons why the EYFS pack is being reprinted is because some alterations are being made to the required ratios in schools?

and I suppose it would be too simple just to issue a clarification? After all, my pack came with an erratum sheet telling me which changes to make!

Maz

I got the EYE magazine today and it said that they were waiting for clarification for keyworking in schools, as a teacher could not be resposbile for 30 children!!!!

Ratios for reception are set in law so can't just be changed without an act of parliament - infant class size legislation covers reception classes. Personally I wouldn't be holding my breath about that changing.

Teachers have pay and conditions that equally govern their roles and responsibilities and whilst you still have qualified teachers in FS classes they will be subject to these requirements. The guidance says the ratios are minimums and it is down to providers/Heads to provide higher levels of adults if they feel that is necessary.

From my info the reprint is to provide greater clarification on what is already in there.

Cx

• 4 weeks later...

We use key persons in our reception and we have three classes. Each adult is a key person although in the end the teacher has the responsibility for all the children as she is the teacher and accountable. Each term one of us is the named person for 15 children each. In the morning we meet in small groups and the parents know who is the child's key person. At the end of the day we meet with this group again and if there is a small group time it will be in these groups. We change the groups each seasonal term so that we all know the children.

We are not soley responsible for keeping notes on children as this is the responsibility of all adults and we have a place to leave notes and we also meet at the end of each day. We have 90 children and 6 adults so the ratios are not fantastic - our nursery have 26 children and 3 adults so it is better!

It works well though as the children know who to go to first thing and so do the parents. Also everyone feels valued and the TAs are fantastic and feel involved in the learning. The teachers plan but have a chance each day to discuss with the TA so they can get involved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)