Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shrove Tuesday

mundia

Hope you are all ready with your pancakes tossing today.

Cue useless fact moment:

This is the earliest possible date for Shrove Tuesday to fall. last time it fell on this date was 1818. However, easter Sunday doesn't fall on the earliest date possible this year....

Ill leave you to ponder why...

Another Lent fact coming up!

I'm church warden and is my job to prepare the ash, hence Ash Wednesday. I have to burn last year's palm crosses until they are fine ash, then mix them with oil which once blessed at the Ash Wednesday service are used to annoint people with! Last year I made it a bit too sloppy and it ran down people's faces xD so this year I tried really hard and hopefully it will be ok. The only thing is the weather has been so grotty I had to burn the crosses in the church kitchen. Usually they won't catch, smoulder a bit and go out. This year? :o:(:( it burnt like billio and I couldn't see across the room! I smelled like a bonfire!!!

LJW that's interesting I love the smell of wood smoke, must be sad!

yes the big quiz did finish maz, this is just the little brain teaser

Quiet correct Jacquie, next question, why is the 22nd the earliest possible date for Easter and when will it happen next? (Extra Brownie point for knowing when Easter next falls on 22nd March AND also happens to be in a leap year?)

If you really want to find out all about how they work out when Easter will be have a look at this site. It made my head ache!!!!!!!!

http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/estrdate.htm

Just put a bit in here from the site which answers your question I think Mundia?

Easter Sunday, Julian or Gregorian, is the Sunday following the day of the Paschal Full Moon (PFM), which is the Ecclesiastical Full Moon (EFM) on or after the nominal Vernal Equinox. The Vernal Equinox is taken as being March 21st, rather than the actual Equinox itself.

From Table III in the Prayer Book, the range of the Gregorian PFM is March 21st to April 18th; it was made to match the Julian range. Therefore, Easter Sundays are always in March 22nd to April 25th inclusive, on the corresponding Calendar - 35 possible dates.

Gregorian Easter will have the next latest possible date on 2038-04-25 (previous: 1943); and the next earliest possible date on 2285-03-22 (previous: 1818). Easter 2008 will be early, on 2008-03-23 (previous: 1913). Easter 2011 will be late, on 2011-04-24 (previous: 1859).

Of course, if its to do with the moon, you know Id know wouldnt you!

Spot on Surfer and Jacquie, I was hoping Maz might fancy the calculation in involved to find out when easter is, since she has new found maths skills

I think I'll just leave you all to use your brains and do all the pondering.....I'm far too full of pancakes to be able to attempt anything else tonight! :o

Spot on Surfer and Jacquie, I was hoping Maz might fancy the calculation in involved to find out when easter is, since she has new found maths skills

Sorry mundia, I was unattainably devoid... or as Terry Wogan says "I had a subsequent engagement"

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)