Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching Eal To Polish Children

Does anybody know of any good websites for picture vocab cards or translations, etc to help with teaching Polish speaking children of ages 3-5 years or any other resources? This is my first time teaching a child with EAL. Thanks

Polish was harder to find than other languages... found some on TES in early years resources, put in early years polish resources and 3 came up which have been useful to us.

One has numbers and days of the week/ months of the year and has been hellpful with the counting particularly,

Inge

We have had quite a few Polish children, they have seemed to cope well. Their parents have been great, so have you liaised with them?

In my experience (DN) they are quick to pick up basics and play drives their further learning. Yes, lots of picture clues - and signing (more Makaton rather than true signing), which we use, helps too.

Sue

We too use signing and other prompts but had a few problems assessing them when they were counting etc so needed the prompts for us rather than the children!! Word cards with pronunciation as well have been very useful and we have found by using occasional Polish words they respond very well in telling us the correct pronunciation and then the English when before they did not talk to the adult at all.

Parents are always helpful, but we do have several who have very limited English themselves so it is not always easy to communicate. (we have 6 Polish children at present and they recommend us!)

We do have 6 other languages in the setting , but they all seem to cope well and learn form each other.

Interesting listening to them all playing all speaking home languages and apparently understanding each other.

Inge

I have 8 Polish children currently in my Nursery class, but I have 14 different home languages in total, including several that you probably have never heard of!!

I have been trying to encourage the Polish parents to help me learn some basic vocabulary, but it is really hard to pronouce if you can't roll your r's. I can now count to 2 (can't pronounce 3 or 4), but can do 5! The children love it if you can say something to them in their home language, but often, they look at me blankly - they obviously haven't got a clue what I'm trying to say to them. :o

However, it is great to see that many of our new children (just 3 years old), who only started after Christmas, are already picking up many English words, and their understanding is really developing well. This is the best age to learn a second language - they seem to soak it up like sponges.

so true Jackie. When my daughter was 4, we moved to Afrika, where none of the children there spoke any English. She became fluent in the local language inside 6 months to the point where people though she was born there. Within a year she was fluent in 4 languages (plus Afrikan English which is different from English English) and could drop in and out of them according to who she was speaking to. She only ever spoke English English at home, or when she wasn't sure about the person she as speaking to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)