Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dissertation Suggestion

hi everyone, Im currently trying to think of a topic to research for my upcoming Early Childhood dissertation.

Need to pinpoint something as only have 6000words.

I know that i definately don't want to look at gender differences.

Is there anything that would hold a lot of research but also warrent further study that you can think of?

I also need to think of an international contemporary issue for a 30 minute peer teaching session, if you've got any wondeful ideas for that??

like i say im just searching for ideas so any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!!!

lucie x

Hi lucie,here are some suggestions for dissertation ideas:

• ] creative learning is a hot topic at the moment for early years.

• interactive whiteboard leanring vs hands on experiences?

Why do you not want to look at gender differences? As i am doing my dissertation at present on how does gender affect the way in which children choose to play in recepetion class and am really enjoying it, as their is loads research out there.

Dee

x x.

P.S International contemprary issues, you could look at UK school starting age compared to other countries, the pros n cons?

Hope this helps

x

Thanks for the quick reply dee. I don't want to do gender purely bc loads of other people in my group are and i want to be different, not because it wouldn't be interesting.

an excellent idea for the contemporary issues, definatey worth further thought.

any more suggestios would be welcome!!

Thank you x

My research project is provisionally entitled "The 'W' word - do worksheets have a place in pre-school?"

I think its important to do something you're really interested in (but something where there is existing research - unlike worksheets!).

As for the international perspective you could look at how the EYFS compares with curricular approaches from other countries - Te Whariki, Reggio, etc.

What are you interested in?

Maz

Someone I work with is doing her dissertation on transitions - a hot topic at the moment!

What sort of research is it? Is she looking for case studies? We have had a few issues with a little chap in our setting who has been quite affected by the recent departure of his friends to Primary school!

Maz

How about outdoor play, constraints in UK by health and safety compared with European countries. Covers both dissertation and 30 minute peer teaching session.

Also like Kiran87 idea of school starting age as a contemporary issue.

other ideas;

Rose report, phonics (although may be too broad for 6000 words)

Recent research on 'well being' placing uk low in the ratings

Inclusive practice, policy and practicelinked with funding.

After watching the programme called "make your child brilliant" a look at brain training, academic ability versus creative thinking, different learning styles and how the current emphasis / testing on Maths, reading and writing is alienating the creative thinker.

social subjects such as; partnership with parents, demise of the extended family, etc

Peggy

you could look at training needs not justthe implemtation of the new eyfs but it's affect on training issues for supportstaff lots of research is out on parental partnership and the importance of support for children at home or what about target setting i would love to look at ros wilson's big write materials and follow the development of writing skills something as simple as looking at your philosophies or a management issue whether of staff or professional development issues

let us know what u choose and if you need any help any area will be exciting so much going on at moment

Lots of ideas there then lucie. Id be asking my self 'what do I really enjoy' followed by 'what do I really want to learn more about?' You will be engaging quite deeply with whatever you choose, and I think you need an element of being fired up by something to keep you going when deadlines approach and you're trying to get it al together.

ive been thinking about what im interested in and what would keep me intrigued. Ive been talking to some friends who confirmed that i am very interested in the views of parents and parental support. what do you think to something involving talking to parents about their role in their childs learning?

do you think i would get honest and open discussion?

That sounds like a great subject - and again a very hot topic which I'm sure you'd find lots of research about. I'm sure that you could find some parents who would be happy to have a discussion and answer your questions. Go for it!

ive been thinking about what im interested in and what would keep me intrigued. Ive been talking to some friends who confirmed that i am very interested in the views of parents and parental support. what do you think to something involving talking to parents about their role in their childs learning?

do you think i would get honest and open discussion?

Great idea - you'd need to be careful about the questions you asked but parents are usually quite motivated to help you out when answering questionnaires etc.

If you go with this be sure to look at Margy Whalley's book about involving parents in children's learning - they have a great programme at Pen Green. I think its called PICL. I have her book somewhere... :o

Maz

Also, if you Google "Family Learning" some interesting websites should come up including the Campaign for Family Learning - lots of resources on there.

The book Maz is referring to is "Working with Parents" by Margy Whalley, published by Hodder and Stoughton. I think Featherstone Education have got a couple of relevant books too...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)