Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sensory Room

Hi All

I am at present setting up a sensory room within the setting as you can imagine we are on a tight budget can any one suggest some good inexpensive equipment or resources for the room, i know how good you all are at snagging a bargain. Thanks

IKEA! A lot of the things in a nursery I go to are from there. Wall mirrors (plastic), concave/convex, multifaceted. Cushions in various fabrics,. I cant really think what else, but if you've been to Ikea you'll know there are loads of things that can be adapted for a range of purposes.

Gloves with different textures on, bells, shakers, old CD's on the wall and hanging from the ceiling, disco ball, torches, a light tube with water in that makes bubbles, a fibreoptic lamp that changes colour, radio/CD player. They also had some small plastic bean bags which had a scent of berries, orange, and other things, but i odnt know where they were from. You could use ot pourri in small bags instead.

They also had a company go in and paint the ceiling with stars with the real night sky and they have a back light to show up the stars. Its lovely but was fairly expensive. I think you can buy fluorescent paint to do your own things.

Cant think what else is in there. :o

We are also in the middle of developing a sensory room and there is so much that can be bought that is reasonably priced. Can I suggest that you take a look here. We are lucky as we have received some funding towards it and have been able to buy some arge equipment and are in the process of sorting out what else we need.

http://www.multi-sensory-room.co.uk/

The website belongs to Richard Hurstwood and has tons of ideas and suggestions for a sensory room. if you click on free sensory ideas a menu comes up on the left and you can select from there. His comic selection is realy good and has a section on free ideas and and ideas from IKEA!! If anyone ever gets the chance to go on one of his trainings I would really recommend it they really are fantastic.

Treasure baskets are lovely for sensory....for any room actually but you could have some in your sensory room.

We have 2 that I've made....baskets cost 1.00 from poundshop.

Edited by Mrsb

I have been asking around to see if anyone can come in and do some staff training.

The nursery already had a sensory room when I started there, but staff have never been trained how to use it, and having never used one myself, I don't feel in a position to train them. All I know is that it certainly isn't being used correctly - only last week did I see lots of rough and tumble play in there.

Any suggestions on staff training or literature to read?

I do supply work at a cc which has a lovely sensory room, I know that in the past they have done staff training themselves which involved all bringing in a few (cheap) donations themselves and making resources, as well as learning more. Also, if it's for older children you could involve them in making resources such as plastic bottles with different colour water in along with items such as glitter, beads etc...... perfect for enclosure schemas!! :o

Essc

Shelley, have you looked at the website further up the thread...though not cheap I know!! Or maybe someone from your early years advisory team could come and do a session - when I ran a nursery, they called in regularly to see if I wanted them to deliver traning on anything in particular.

http://www.spacekraft.co.uk/ have some fantastic resources (expensive) but with a little imagination I'm sure you could come up with cheaper alternatives

If you know anyone handy you could easily produce panels http://www.spacekraft.co.uk/search/product...ails.asp?id=320

http://www.spacekraft.co.uk/search/product...ils.asp?id=1979

Edited by Marion

I work in a special school so obviously the sensory room is one place that our school spent a lot of time and money on, although it took a long time to raise the money for the equipment. Our room was done by spacekraft and we have a few bits and pieces of theirs around school too like the panels Marion mentions above.

I'd say the key electrical items in the sensory room are the bubble tube and the fibre optic lights. Every single child who can see them love them.

In the cupboard next to the sensory rooms we have colour boxes which contain different materials/textures in a given colour. We also have little bottles with a variety of things to make shakers out of them. Some have little pom poms, some have sand, shells or rice etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)