Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Managing The Nursery Activities

I'm new to Nursery and finding that I seem to be spending most of my time supervising the children rather than engaging with them properly, every time I try a child needs attention or they stop playing. I'm worrying because I don't feel I can assess what the children can do or do 'proper' activities. Is it ok to be observing most of the time...I feel like I'm 'skiving'! I would be grateful for ideas how others organise things for Nursery children in a Foundation Unit setting. Thanks!

just wanted to say 'know how you feel!'

yes that's certainly how it is, especially at this time of the year when they are sooooo young. Use the time to write observations to gain an insight into their interests and abilities. But without enough adult support it is difficult to spend a great deal of time with individuals. It does, however, get better. Good luck.

Why do we all feel like we are skiving , when we do observations.

We have talked about this in our unit and its like if someone comes into the unit we have to say we are working, because we appear to just be sat.

Its great to get to know the children through observations. At the minute we dont seem to be getting many done as we have quite a few children who were only 3 in december and they are taking up so much time time just getting them to listen and respond to our requests.

Try not to feel like a skiver, obs are so valuable.

As Rea can vouch, in our Toddler Room, when the heuristic play comes out, the staff simply 'melt into the wallpaper'. They are, however, watching, noting, observing and on the alert to any hazards that may develop. This is invaluable self-discovery and exploration for such young children and the non-intervention of adults is essential. Take that thought forward to other age groups and hold your heads high.

You're doing a grand job!

Sue

Yes I can Sue, happily :o

Apart from the need to make obs, I think children need some time alone, without adults constantly talking to them, asking questions, making suggestions and commenting on what they are doing.

I know I like peace and quiet to just 'be' sometimes.

xD

Best part of working with children this age is the watching and enjoying how they learn so quickly and easily often with no or little input from us.

As long as we record and show they are progressing and learning isn't that what 'learning through play' all about.

we feel Its about a balance of learning when to let them play and when they need input to extend their learning

Inge

Thanks everyone, I feel reassured and I'm glad it's normal practice. THe next hurdle I've got is a nursery assembly so I'll be after ideas soon!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)