Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Age Of Person Collecting Child From Setting

Deb

Hi

I know, last time I checked, that Ofsted say people collecting children from a setting must be 'responsible adults'.

Does anyone know where, if anywhere, this statement is in the new EYFS?

I have read the Statutory Guidance and cannot find it. Might have fallen asleep halfway through though!

Edited by Deb

Hi

I know, last time I checked, that Ofsted say people collecting children from a setting must be 'responsible adults'.

Does anyone know where, if anywhere, this statement is in the new EYFS?

I have read the Statutory Guidance and cannot find it. Might have fallen asleep halfway through though!

If you download the guidance from the website, can you do a search within the pdf document? When I have a minute, I'll check..

Maz

Thanks for the suggestion Maz. This is what I have found, so far.

So specific legal requirements state:

Providers must only release children into the care of individuals named by the parent.

Statutory guidance states:

except where there is reasonable excuse, obtaining written permission from parents where

children are to be picked up by another adult.

Think I will email Ofsted to see what they say.

Will let you know.

Years ago playgroup decided the person collecting had to be 18. A parent objected very strongly when told her 16 year old son couldnt collect his little sister, after more thought it was decided that he could collect but only if mom signed a disclaimer.

I personnaly thought at the time that playgroup were being over cautious. At what age do we define adulthood? Fourteen on the bus, 16 to join the army, buy cigarettes and have sex, 18 to go into a pub (and watch Sweeny Todd!)

To cover yourself, I would go with 16 as an age for responsible adult. Under this age someone can be a babysitter but would come under your responsibility if anything went wrong and so I would take the same view on a child being collected.

I'm always interested to know what Ofsteds view on things is :o

• 3 weeks later...

we have just recently changed our policies and it has been agreed that it has to be anyone 16 or over to pick up the child.

we also do a password scheme as if there is someone picking up a child that we dont recognise they have to give the correct password for that child. The password is given to us by the parent.

it is usually only an emergency thing if the parent cant get to playgroup and asks someone else to get child but they have to give password for us to let child go

The definition of an adult is 18, your still defined as a child at 16. May be they used the term parent in the first instant (underage mother, 16-18 mother) and responcible adult in the second as a person other that a parent picking the child up should be 18. ( plain english, instead of us all guessing would be useful!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)