Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs

Hi am still trying to get to grips with EYFS. At the moment I am just trying to re write our early years policy in light of the new curriculum??????? Help!!!!! Just wondered if anyone would be willingly to share their ideas or maybe a policy they have done please. Think the brain has switched off at the moment as I am going round in circles. Maybe their is somewhere on this site to look, but I keep pressing the wrong buttons and getting nowhere. Thanks in anticipation of your help!!!!

xxxx

Edited by Guest

The EYFS is BTT, FS and the daycare standards all wrapped up, so whatever you do for those, I'd just rewrite with mention to the EYFS instead.

I've read a lot of it lately and really cant see anything has changed except that its now a legal requirement to work with the EYFS guidlines. The EYFS is linked to the four principles of Every child matters, so you might want ot mention that too.

The statatory bit relates mostly to the standards and the fact that we must follow the curriculum. The early learning goals are the same, except for a slight word change on CLL (havent got it to hand right now) but the stepping stones, which were never prescriptive, are worded differently to take into account the different age ranges and the fact that children develop differently so the age ranges overlap.

The main difference is that observations based on play are hugely important whereas the FS and BTT didnt stress it quite so much. Its also important that we work with and recognise families.

Hope this is making sense. I'm really worried that people are getting bogged down by this when there really isnt any need. :oxD

Hope this is making sense. I'm really worried that people are getting bogged down by this when there really isnt any need.

Really do agree with you here Rea :o

Have confidence in your professional experience to interpret what is very similar to what you have already been practising.

Mind you I've only given it a quick glance and don't know the 'publication' inside out ( so to speak).

I do recall that there is further requirment to further liase with other settings a child may also attend to ensure continuity of provision, not sure if this is a legal requirement of the EYFS.

Peggy

I do recall that there is further requirment to further liase with other settings a child may also attend to ensure continuity of provision, not sure if this is a legal requirement of the EYFS.

Peggy

Yes, you're right Peggy. Any setting a child attends, nursery, childminder, playgroup etc, has input into the observations, So a childminder might note that today Tom recognised the numbers on the bus, she'll tell the nursery who will make a note. The setting where the child spends most of his time has responsibilty to ensure planning fits assessments.(I'm going to check that bit, I've worded it wrong)

The document contains the words 'should' and 'must'. These will have a bearing on how you do things, but really, honestly, dont panic. :o

What a way to spend a Saturday night, oh well xD

Found these which might be of interest to you.

KEEP Key Elements of Effective Practice

EYFS a guide fom the under 5's site

EYFS an audit from Leicestershire

Bracknell What is EYFS?

EYFS learning and development exemptions Day care trust

Thats it folks, I'm off to bed :o

I was talking to someone today about EYFS and how I think it will be easy to master, she said, 'well I cant do it'. 'Why?' I asked. 'Because I'm in pre-school room' she answered. xD:o

I was talking to someone today about EYFS and how I think it will be easy to master, she said, 'well I cant do it'. 'Why?' I asked. 'Because I'm in pre-school room' she answered. :(:o

Umm its dead simple that I could do it in my sleep! :( I have to use 2/3 age groups with only 4 chilren from 1 to 4 years. However the system in place is very good and will be trying to take to a new place (if I ever get one) it consists of long term conutiious provision sheets, medum term weekly sheet with post it notes of activities (3 per week) then short term writing up the activies done. It is very much Sue R's motvational planning framework! xD

Beth

Thank you for the excellent links Rea they will prove really useful, anything that can give staff more confidence with the EYFS must be good although the framework will be good when it is up and working any change is hard for staff to take on board (or is that just my staff LOL)

Thank you for the excellent links Rea they will prove really useful, anything that can give staff more confidence with the EYFS must be good although the framework will be good when it is up and working any change is hard for staff to take on board (or is that just my staff LOL)

No, don't worry belle06, any change is 'threatening', for any staff, not just yours, and the fact that you have recognised this means that you are more likely to succeed as a manger of change. xD:(

just give them the confidence that they know what they are doing and it's just the jargon, plus a few minor adjustments that they have to deal with. :o

Peggy

I think a good place to start with wary staff is the 'look, listen and note' column in the framework book. If staff can see what they are looking for, they might just see that there are no great changes to be made and it hopefully wont be so scarey. Observation skills and child development knowledge are key, as well as being able to show the plansd have come from what was observed.

A phrase on the CD is 'OBSERVE, ANALYSE, PLAN'. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)