Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonic Activities

Hi guys,

We have started to try and really focus on phonics with our children but it has not gone too well so far, i think this is because the staff are struggling to think of ideas on how to add this to the adult led activities they put out. Does any one have ideas on what they do.

They have all watched the programme on teachers tv whiched helped a little.

dd

I think you add phonics more through the opportunities that come up for children to apply their knowledge rather than it being something you can really plan to add to different things - if you are doing a specific phase 1 type adult led activity that's a bit different cos obviously phonics is the main learning intention, but for instance if you were in the role play and children started to write a shopping list then you might ask them to help you write it and listen for the sound at the start together. It's about tuning in to extend through their play by listening and being alert to opportunities that arise I think.

Cx

Hi,

Have you tried looking at Letters and Sounds DFES Publications Tel: 08456022260 it has great activities for teaching phonics!

Sandyx

I havent seen the publication Sandy suggests, but I'd do what catma says. These are very young children and while I know some people advocate phonic teaching at this age I'd personnaly stay with letter games, songs, and guessing games, rather tahn full onteaching. But then I'm not a teacher so I wouldnt feel comfortable doing anything formal anyway :o

At a recent Letters and Sounds training, we were told to concentrate on providing activities from Phase 1 of the Letters and Sounds document already mentioned. There a lots of suggestions in there which should be very helpful.

I have used jolly phonics with the children in our setting, it goes really well, the pictures of the book really helps the children and it is even better if you use visual aids, get parent s involved by helping them to look at home if they have any items. When the children bring the items in the you can have a circle time or one to one with the child, help them to write a list of what begins with that letter, if they can't write allow them to draw.

Have a shallow tray out with sand in it encourage to children to practise writing the letter.

You could also set up a small washing line have the letters on a table ask the child to find the letter and hang it up using a child friendly peg.

Play dough is another way which helps children to use their senses to help to feel the actually letter, as well as paper machie. Hope that helps you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)