Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wodland Animals

Guest saina

Hi ive recently joined the FSF, i would appreciate if someone can help me please, the topic is woodland animals and im not sure what activires i could do for this topic? please somebody help.

im still finding my way round this site.

Hi Saina and welcome.

It would probably help a little if you could tell us what age children you are working with. I would probably look at animal homes and the habitat in general and of course some first hand experience would be good that could be more difficult?

Hi saina, welcome to the site :oxD

Woodland animals can cover such a lot. Percy the park keeper might be a starting point depending on the age of your children, quite long stories for younger ones, but there are plenty of animals to look at.

A lot of the animals can be found in the garden, creepy crawlies, squirrels, birds, mice, foxes, so you might not have to go far to start a search.

I'm not too sure about activities, I think thats why I prefer not to use topics, I always get stuck thinking of ideas to match the topic. :(

Thanks guys, will read the story percy the park keeper, ive just started planning recently, so finding a little difficult.

will be needing you help in the future LOL!

Welcome :-)

Walk in the woods looking for animals or signs of animals, you can see old birds nests at this time of year and a squirrel's drey.

Make your own set of dominoes /lotto with pictures from clip art.

Sort animals into categories farm / woodland / sea.

Animal Hospital in role play area.

Making bird feeders to attract birds to your setting or garden if children take them home.

Make a woodland area with logs, bark, stones, leaves and other natural materials on a builders Tuff Spot, hide some woodland animals for the children to find.

"What am I" game- inside a feely bag or small box place some small plastic animals the ELC do them from time to time i.e. fox, badger, hedgehog, mole, robin, rabbit - I prefer 3D objects but pictures would do if you haven't got any animals. Then give the children 3 clues - I have four legs, I live under ground, I have black and white fur, What am I? Of course the children would need to have spent some time looking at and playing with objects. I also play this game with Farm animals, creatures from the sea, and christmas items.

Hi Saina,

There are a collection of little books called 'Wide Eye', I think that is what they are called. The books are little stories all about a little owl and his different adventures in the woods that he lives in. Each story has a theme which can then be used to extend activities and learning, from what I can remember, some of the themes covered were, little owl got chicken pox, little owl starting school, little owl got lost and so on. I have not used the books for a long time now. In the stories there is a very much loved and respected wise old owl.

Rosepetal

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)