Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Milk Claims

I have spent ages this morning going through the last term's registers and calculating actual attendance for my milk claim form. Half way through it occurred to me that maybe expected attendance is sufficient, eg 20 on a Monday, 19 on a Tues, calculated over the term. Does anyone know? I haven't ever completed the actual form as our Treasurer does this so am not sure what it asks for.

I've always understood it that you have to show actual attendance, this is why the claim is done 'in arrears'. The idea being that milk purchased for Monday that is not used is then used for the following day. Life would be so much easier if it was 'expected numbers' then the claim could be done in advance.

Many settings are now using milk providers who deliver free milk and do all the paperwork/milk claim for you. I can't think off hand what company this is because I didn't take up the offer recently because of my closure but I'm sure someone else will be able to give you details on this.

Peggy

p.s. Thanks, you've just reminded me to do my last claim. :o

Thanks Peggy! It all seems a lot of unnecessary work doesn't it? I buy 2 x 2L bottles on a Monday, Wednesday and 1 on a friday. If a child is off sick then I've already bought and paid for the milk regardless! I don't think I would use a company for our milk as our setting is too small really.

Glad I prompted you too and a happy new year. How's the tidying up going by the way?

Unfortunately the scheme only provides for children 'drinking' a 1/3 pint, per day. It doesn't matter how small your setting is re: milk suppliers it is after all custom they would not otherwise have. I do think that with this service being available the milk scheme may, in the future, only offer this sytem but who knows.

As for the tidying, I've filled one recycle sack of old accounts stuff and therefore need my forum break to avoid actually getting down to do some actual accounting ( thanks for asking- not :o )

Peggy

We are registered for 20 children, on a sessional basis. We use Cool Milk for School now, they do all the paper work, and the same milkman delivers the milk as normal. No cheques to write or forms to complete, hurrah.

When I used the WRFF (?) scheme, I would fill in the form using the same numbers each week and it was never queried, allowing for termly increases or decreases only. I felt sure that as we claimed less milk than children who drink it, we would be safe. As we use pints of milk instead of cartons and children pour their own drink.

I claim for the amount we spend on milk! and put in child figures to cover the outgoings, all I need are the milk receipts or to know how much has been spent to sort it out. It does say on the form you should have receipts for amount claimed so providing this is covered it would be very hard to dispute how many children actually drank milk on any given day!

Inge

Edited by Inge

We are registered for 20 children, on a sessional basis. We use Cool Milk for School now, they do all the paper work, and the same milkman delivers the milk as normal. No cheques to write or forms to complete, hurrah.

I didn't know there were different schemes (I haven't done a claim at all yet this year - its on my 'to do' list :o ). I only knew of the WRFU (or is that a rugby union oganisation?). Cool Milk for School sounds great - is it available for all settings in all locations?

Maz

I didn't know there were different schemes (I haven't done a claim at all yet this year - its on my 'to do' list :o ). I only knew of the WRFU (or is that a rugby union oganisation?). Cool Milk for School sounds great - is it available for all settings in all locations?

Maz

Just looked up Cool milk for school and it does'nt cover my area..... xD

Anyone know a contact in West Sussex????

we have alocal firm who does this, may be worth asking other groups if they know of one.

we decided against as with a reliable Milkman we had more hassle liasing with the company than we do with him....also like to keep local business going! will lose milkmen soon.

Inge