Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Altenative Early Years Practitioners Standards

HappyMaz

Wolfie suggested we come up with some alternative standards for Early Years Professionals which is an excellent way of providing a bit of light relief or venting spleen for those of us in the throes of/contemplating EYPS (indeed for anyone who has a wry view of life in early years!).

The real standards cover all the aspects of what an EYP does in their professional life and the idea is that candidates have to show how their practice meets the standards (bit like an NVQ?). The challenge is to come up with a description of practice that is joyously non-pc, illustrates what we'd like to do in a given situation if we were brave enough, or 'celebrates' wonderfully inappropriate practice that unfortunately is witnessed all too frequently in settings up and down the land. Although obviously not in any setting in which a a Forum inhabitant is working, obviously. :o

Here's my opener to get us going:-

Facilitating and encouraging collaboration and reflection within the staff team - adopting the "arms folded across the chest" stance, listening (preferably whilst watching with disapproval as little Johnny bashes his baby in the home corner) while a newly qualified/young and enthusistic member of staff outlines her reasons why a particular change in routine is justified. Allowing a few seconds to pass when the other person has stopped speaking and then saying (in your best CBeebies voice) "yes we tried that ten years ago dear, and it didn't work so I think we'll carry on as we are!

Recognise anyone from this description? xD

Maz

Guest Wolfie

Brilliant! Give me a bit of time to add to this, my brain seems to be on a go slow today...nothing new there then! :o

Edited by Wolfie

Love to join in but I don't know what the 'original' EYPS standards are, xD ( feel free to list a few)

Peggy

I don't think you need to know the standards Peggy (heaven knows I don't :o ). Just think of the role of a pre-school leader and put your own slant on things!

Anyway perhaps Wolfie would like to come up with some of the real ones - she has acquired expert status in my eyes!

Mx

"Contribute to the work of a multi-professional team and, where appropriate, co-ordinate and implement agreed programmes and interventions on a day-to-day basis."

Initiate a contribution system to enable the multi-professional team at the Dog and Gun

to co-ordinate and implement staff outings with agreed programmes of activity (skittles, dominoes & darts) on a day-to-day basis.

Any good??

"Contribute to the work of a multi-professional team and, where appropriate, co-ordinate and implement agreed programmes and interventions on a day-to-day basis."

Initiate a contribution system to enable the multi-professional team at the Dog and Gun

to co-ordinate and implement staff outings with agreed programmes of activity (skittles, dominoes & darts) on a day-to-day basis.

Any good??

Fab! But you missed out the bit about drawing lots to sit next to the most unliked person in the team :o

Sorry xD

Maz

Maz, this really made me chuckle. Im just starting the EYPS next week so maybe Ill be able to join in then...

In the meantime, do keep them coming..

Which pathway are you on mundia? It will be interesting to share experiences!

Maz

Yes it will, Im on the short pathway mainly because I have much less experience with under threes, so my focus will be there.

My only concern is the time commitment, Ive just started another job, but they did assure me I could pretty much take as long as I needed, so I may well just hold them to that!

Whilst on the subject, does anyone have the standards on a simple A4 sheet, save me hunting around for one or having to make my own?

Cheers

Mundia, you'll get given the standards on A4 when you start the training sessions. I've got them here but have no way of transfering them onto the forum without typing them out again!