Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning

Can someone give me some advice on how to include observation and assesment into my planning fairly new to all this been out Ey 3YRS ALL CHANGE WELL SEEMS IT!! Long, Med short term plan examples would be great topic this term is People who help us. I seem to spend all my time planning at moment ofsted didnt like what I'm doing as my observations were not informing my planning and showing what each child needs?! Small Pre-school 8 - 9 per session 21/2 - 4 yr olds.

Can someone give me some advice on how to include observation and assesment into my planning fairly new to all this been out Ey 3YRS ALL CHANGE WELL SEEMS IT!! Long, Med short term plan examples would be great topic this term is People who help us. I seem to spend all my time planning at moment ofsted didnt like what I'm doing as my observations were not informing my planning and showing what each child needs?! Small Pre-school 8 - 9 per session 21/2 - 4 yr olds.

Welcome hart!

I see this is your second post - have I missed your first, or have I welcomed you before? Are you like me - up late - or the opposite of me - up early??

I can't help out with the specific planning you need because we don't do topics and also because I don't do long or medium term plans, as such (don't tell anyone, will you?) :o

All our planning is child-led in that we focus on three children each week. Parents complete a questionnaire about what their child is interested in at the moment, what their favourite things to do are and then we use this information to plan our activities that week. Once we have drawn up the group plans for the week, we do an individual plan for each 'focus' child so that parents can see what activities are on offer and how these support their child's learning journey. It is a truly fantastic system (even though sometimes it feels like flying by the seat of our pants because we plan this week for next so that we can truly react to what children are interested in now!

I can't claim any credit at all for it - I got the idea from someone very clever on here (whose name escapes me for the moment).

Try doing a search of the forum posts and see what you can find. Someone will be along in the morning with more words of wisdom, I'm sure!

Maz

It was millhill who gave me the brilliant idea (if I haven't thanked you before, millhill I've been very remiss - what an inspiration!).

I have no idea how to put in a link to a discussion on the Forum, but I will work it out before I go to bed. Or alternatively I might just wait for one of the clever people to do it for me...

So I've edited this post now to put in the link to millhill's original explanation (and I've checked it and will take you directly to her post). I hope it is of interest, after all that!

http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...st&p=102479

Maz

PS can someone tell me which number in the url above is the topic number (is it 10406 by any chance?). Then could be really clever and use the apropriate code and not have to cut and paste the whole url....

Edited by HappyMaz

Hi hart

I am going to move this into the preschool/nursery planning area.

Hope Maz has given you some food for thought. SueR has written some good stuff on child initiated learning too, look for motivational planning in articles.

Maz, you can link using the url and the little green plus button to the right of the emoticon button in the reply panel.

Hi Maz thanks for your info I really like the idea you use of gathering infor from parents/childminders etc.. and then using this for your plans for the following week. Some questions!! - Doyou send them a questionnaire to fill in and return by end of week if so what sort of things does it include if not how do you gather this info and then how exactly do you apply this to your plans do you have different areas in the setting to aid learning for instance messy area, role play, small world , mark making etc if so do you make sure their are activities that will help your focused children move forward. How do you recird their progression do you use baseline profiles or a tracker system? sorry so may questions!!! Thanks for all your help

hart I think it best to send you an email (when I work out how to do it), otherwise everyone on here will get heartily sick of me going on and on and on about it! I'll attach the questionnaire so you can see what it looks like!

Superstar_survey___blank.doc

Maz (just off now to click on the link and see if it works! There's a first time for everything...) :o

hart I think it best to send you an email (when I work out how to do it), otherwise everyone on here will get heartily sick of me going on and on and on about it! I'll attach the questionnaire so you can see what it looks like!

Superstar_survey___blank.doc

Maz (just off now to click on the link and see if it works! There's a first time for everything...) :o

Cheers! Maz link successful a big help many thanks! Hart

Maz I for one am not sick or hearing anyone discussing planning as it must be our most collective bug bear. Any light anybody can shine on this issue is very welcome, so pleaes keep posting your enthusiastic informed comments.

Deb glad you feel like that about planning too!!! I'm really grateful for all info Maz given me and anyone else out there just good to share idea's!!!

Hart :o

Can I also agree, planning is the area where I definitely need most help and is the topic I always head for.

I love the superstar sheet Maz and will be trying to get our supervisor to start using something suitable within our setting. It just looks like such a positive reward for the children. Great stuff.

Hi new to the site today, great! Have had a quick read through the different posts this morning, really impressed with the idea of how to gain information from parents using the superstar survey and focusing on the child led activities. Thank you for sharing your practice.

Hi new to the site today, great! Have had a quick read through the different posts this morning, really impressed with the idea of how to gain information from parents using the superstar survey and focusing on the child led activities. Thank you for sharing your practice.

Welcome to the Forum kingscliffe!

That's what we're all about really - sharing good ideas and getting support when things go a little bit pear shaped!

The only thing better than having a fantastic idea yourself is taking someone else's fantastic idea and tweaking it so that it makes sense in your own group!

Maz

Welcome to the forum from me too and glad you are already getting stuck in! Are you from Kingscliffe by any chance? My husband had relations there many years ago and spent many weeks of his youth there. :o

Hi to Hart and kingscliffe. :oxD

I've just bought Vicky Hutchins book as recommended on here. I only read one page today but could see that she's going to be addressing this very issue of how to make observations, both ours and parents, part of the planning process, so that we dont observe just for the sake of it.

Fortunatly I dont have to plan but my very good wishes go to everyone who does!! :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)