Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Looking Through The Window- Topic

Hi

Looking through the window is our topic next half term and as a nursery nurse new to the reception class I have to plan the outside area and role play indoors and out!!! I was thinking of Winter as a starting point? but that is as far as I have got and am now in a bit of a panic :oxD

Thanks in anticipation!!! Sandra

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Spaceman

Winter perhaps the children could choose warm clothes from a pile of mixed and pack their rucksacks for an arctic expedition outside to the igloo....could build one outside out of cardboard boxes or use IKEA £4.99

Weve had ice in our water tray outside (weather is cold enough it will happen anyway)have cold water animals to play with.Have ice indoor water tray to, do the children notice anything different eg melting

There have been topics on winter on here do a search and you will find lots of stuff

Tinkerbellx

Hi

Looking through the window is our topic next half term and as a nursery nurse new to the reception class I have to plan the outside area and role play indoors and out!!! I was thinking of Winter as a starting point? but that is as far as I have got and am now in a bit of a panic :oxD

Thanks in anticipation!!! Sandra

Taking your name as inspiration, what about looking through the window into deep space?

And you could always get the children cleaning windows in your setting in order to make the view clearer....

For some reason I keep hearing a voice saying "and today we're looking through the round window"

Sorry - I'm obviously not back into work mode yet!

Maz

What a great topic. With lots of scope.

I would start with getting the children excited and charged up by inviting them to make a super magical weather station. They can control the weather in all of the world!! They can make a crazy computer (junk modeling) with buttons (paper folding hand gym!) and numbers (mathimatical development) and have umbrellas, macs, boots, sunglasses, kites, jugs to measure rain etc. Perhaps a dressing area, a magic wand, a globe. Let them help you set it up. Compile a list together (literacy). Spend a week with the children really going to town on it. They might want to have a video camera to make their own weather reports, and some weather symbols like on the television. Perhpas show them a clip of a real weather reporter. Then let them take the lead. perhaps prepare some materials (outdoor play boxes) for a windy, snowy, rainy, frosty, misty day and go with the flow!

Enjoy!

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)