Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help A Very Advanced 5 Year Old

Hi all,

i have a 5 year old girl in my reception class - she can read and write all high frequency words for reception - she reads them in stories and uses them in her writing. She can fluently read simple stores and is able to sound out trickier words. She is writing recounts and stories using finger spaces and is beginning to use full stops. In numeracy she can compare numbers, recognise numbers to 100 and can complete addition and subtraction sums such as 22+22. She also writes her own sums. My problem is i am unsure where to take her next. It has been suggested she could go to the year 1 class and complete their lessons . I am againat this as in our school year 1 is very formal and i do not want her to miss out on the play based curriculum in foundation stage.

Any suggestions on how i can still meet her needs through a play based curriculum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lola

Sorry can't offer any advice on the curriculum, just wanted to say that my friends daughter went straight from nursery into year 1 and ended up being a very upset and lonely child. She coped with the schoolwork but suffered tremendously emotionally and socially. The school refused to put her back in reception with her friends, so my friend changed to a school that she felt totally supported her childs whole development; and she is now a well adjusted happy little girl.

Karrie

creative development, KUW, etc - how developed is she with these aspects? I would support her in developing her own lines of enquiry and interest, e.g. maybe using ICT skills to develop projects and learning. What is she interested in?? What areas of the class does she spend most time in?

I'm not saying I was a very advanced 5 year old, but at that age I was moved up a year group, with 5 other children - we were introduced as ' the babies'! Not to be recommended!

The options to take bright children in a wider direction are much more prevalent nowadays with ICT etc. You need to give her more problem solving maths activities tp make sure she is not a rote learner but can apply her knowkedge too. Do make sure her writing keeps ahead of her reading adn make sure her comprehension keeps up with her decoding abilities. Good luck, she's lucky to have such a reflective teacher!

I had a child very similiar last year in my class. She is now on our Gifted and Talented register and has an IEP to support her needs in terms of high achieving. What we have done is looked at ways of broadening her skills especially in reading. We also involved the parents heavily by including them in the process. I made up a writing book for her that she called her princess book (always looked for ways in using her personal interests) that she wanted for homework! she loved playing schools at home. I think the key is to use other areas such as KUW, Creative and PSE to give her a breadth of experiences and use differentiation to ensure she can tap into her skills. Hope that helps.

Munch

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)