Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

General Nursery Questions

Hi

it seems i haven't been on here in ages, and now im back with questions i s hould probably know the answer to but its been one of those weeks.

when it comes to qualified staff in nursery what are the guidelines on it?, does level two count as qualified.... does there have to be a qualified member of staff in each room at all times (and if so do they have to be qualified to level three?)

deputy manager ~ ours is room based,do you give your deputy time out of the room to be in the office, or do you give them work to do in their room.... currently my deputy works the same job as a nursery nurse with the exception of opening and locking up nursery.... basically the owner of the nursery feels my deputy should do more to take some of the stress of me, but im not sure what jobs to delegate her.....any ideas?, what does your deputy do?

i am feeling really dispondant and not sure why..... maybe its just the xmas blues????

Dawn

No answers to your questions Dawn but just wanted to say cheer up and you aren't alone - I too feel as though I'm not achieving anything at the moment - lots of bitty things to do but I don't want to start on anything "big" until after Christmas or the momentum will be lost over the break! I think it's just the time of year...... :o

Hi Dawn

Level two is qualified but wouldn't be able to be in charge should there not be anybody with a level 3 qualification present. Not sure about the rooms though, but I do have experienced but unqualified staff and they are not supervised all the time. Our rooms are interconnected though and we can all be seen for the vast majority of the time.

My deputy manager is our SENCO and she also supervises the other staff. She is responsible when I'm not there, like you she has keys to open and close the premises, but she is not room based. She is not on the rota so she can move around and spend time relieving other staff if necessary.

Linda

As Linda said a level 2 can be classed as a qualified member of staff, but should not be left in charge of the setting.

Ofsted state that 50% of staff should be qualified to level 2 or above.

Yes there should be a minimum 50% qualified staff ratio maintained in each room at all times - this can be a level 2

Our deputy manager (and senior nursery nurse) are supernumeary, their main duties are to cover all other staff for lunches / breaks / planning time etc whilst the manager is on the premisis.

When no manager around deputy would not normally be covering in rooms.

This is how we do it, can't guarentee its right though

I have never had a supernumerary deputy. My current one is made supernumerary if I am not there, but otherwise is room based. When I am able to get her in the office I ask her to do filing, etc (something which I loathe). She is also the H & S coordinator, so is responsible each month for fire drills, checking cleaning, etc.

I am hoping (ratios permitting) to give her a day out of numbers each week, to be in the office to free me up to be more 'on the floor'.

I feel despondant too - especially as I've just had a lovely week off and now don't want to go back! :o

HI Dawn,

My Deputy is room based, she is also my SENCO. She also has a set of keys to open and close the nursery. I have allocated her office time for SENCO role and we get together once a week to discuss any nursery issues that she needs to know about and she will share with me how her week has gone and how the staff are etc.

In my nursery all rooms have a level 3 person in the room at all times, even the breaks are arranged so there is always a level 3 in the room. A level 2 member of staff in my setting is seen as a junior nursery practitioner.

Rosepetal

I have never had a supernumerary deputy. My current one is made supernumerary if I am not there, but otherwise is room based. When I am able to get her in the office I ask her to do filing, etc (something which I loathe). She is also the H & S coordinator, so is responsible each month for fire drills, checking cleaning, etc.

I am hoping (ratios permitting) to give her a day out of numbers each week, to be in the office to free me up to be more 'on the floor'.

I feel despondant too - especially as I've just had a lovely week off and now don't want to go back! :o

hi.

think that's why im feeling dispondant, this time last week i had just got back from gran canaria, so probably post holiday blues....

like you i want to become more 'on the floor based' and this will mean me delegating more to deputy and senior.... hmmm, its all fun....

thanks everyone for your advice, especially about the qualifications.

Dawn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)