Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

"threat To Toddlers"?

Marion

I entirely agree with you Maz. One of the hallmarks of this community is that we have been able to hold quite different views, yet discuss them openly and with respect for another opinion.

I think the dangers of a single 'received' view are huge, so it's always inspiring to see people exercising their right to a different point of view. It's also why we can't really be a campaigning web site in the same vein as mumsnet. If we make room for people with all sorts of differing opinions, then we can't really condemn, promote or otherwise back a particular viewpoint. Every stance we took would then alienate a proportion of the membership...

And (your rather tasteless humour aside! :o ), I don't think anyone could look over your posts here and regard them as being ill informed or lacking judgement!

And (your rather tasteless humour aside! :o ), I don't think anyone could look over your posts here and regard them as being ill informed or lacking judgement!

Tasteless? Oh how you wound! And in the season of goodwill to all men, too...

Maz

Well said Maz! Its always good to hear other peoples opinions. How on earth you can hope to form valid and balanced views without hearing all sides is beyond me.

And I quite like your tasteless humour................................... :o

And I quite like your tasteless humour................................... :o

Now what does that say about you, Beau? xD

Seriously though for a moment - I did get the opinion that over on Mumsnet they were having a sensible debate about the EYFS. There was plenty of talk about their own individual children and their different stages of development, and some had talked to their pre-school leaders to get their views. There was also evidence that opinions were being changed in the light of the argument, and all opinions seemed to be welcomed.

Maz

Aha - thanks Maz. I don't actually know the Mumsnet site. I'd just assumed the reference meant that they were part of the open eye campaign, so apologies to anyone from Mumsnet who stumbles across this! :o

Incidentally, that also wasn't intended as a criticism of the campaign, or indeed campaigning websites in general. I was just pointing out that it's not possible for a 'broad church' website, which welcomes people with many differing outlooks on early years education, to take a formal position. There have been pressures in the past to do so which we've resisted (sometimes despite strong temptations) as it would (in my opinion) limit the freedom of our members to be fully honest about what they believe.

Without mentioning any other sites by name, there are many where the received view is the only acceptable one to post on, and all others who put their head above the parapets are shouted down. The day that happens here is, I hope, a day that never dawns!*

(* end of my campaign! xD )

Perhaps I should make myself clearer! The reference to the Mumsnet site was made in an email in order to point out their 'ill informed' views and exhorting those of use who have 'signed up' to add our views to the Mumsnet thread in order to support the campaign (and - although this wasn't made explicit) put the contributors to the thread straight on a few things, if we felt able!

The campaign itself is very 'gung ho' - they are clearly very committed and they see the internet as a key method to spreading the word. It can be a little overwhelming for someone like me who is still sitting on the fence - I am on the mailing list just to keep up to date with the information rather than being an active supporter of their campaign.

Its interesting what you say Steve about there being a 'received view' on some other sites - can you imagine the fun we'd have in trying to come to some consensus on here? :o I don't think you can truthfully say that your campaign is at an end though - its a continual process, I think, and one that we all need to commit ourselves to when posting or reading to make sure that our 'broad church' remains just that: where we can continue to learn from each other and wrestle with the issues that face us all wherever we work in early years.

Ooh is it me or does that sound just a bit like a manifesto?

Maz

I have to "confess" to being an active supporter of the campaign having met up with both Sue Palmer and Margaret Edgington in recent weeks and discussed the issues face to face so to speak. As Maz says no one can doubt their commitment or sincerity. The campaign is aimed at parents, grandparents as well as those who work with young children with the intention of having EYFS "downgraded" to professional guidance rather than being legislation as there are concerns that parents freedom to choose their child's earliest experiences will be restricted and for some children the "audit culture" will take over. As we are all more than aware there are far too many settings where play is marginalised by pressure to "teach to the ELGs" and to meet inappropriate targets. On this site we are lucky to have many experienced and committed practitioners to support those who may face pressure from "above" but unfortunately we are a few in comparison and while we may make our voices heard here there is a wider world out there with many many confused practitioners.

That seems fair enough Marion but I have to admit to being reluctant to put my name to their petition as I find the manifesto somewhat overwhelming and difficult to understand but I can relate to your interpretation of the campaign in hand.

Susan I think the focus has become confused by the way it has been represented in the press and by individuals involved in the campaign who have clouded the issue with comments which do not form any part of the actual petition.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to commission an urgent independent review of the compulsory Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) policy framework, and to reduce the status of its learning and development requirements to ‘professional guidelines’. We recognise the government’s good intentions in its early-years policy-making, but are concerned about the EYFS legislation, which comes into force in England next September.

Our concerns focus on the learning and development requirements, as follows:

1. They may harm children’s development

2. They will restrict parents’ freedom of choice in childcare and education

3. Their assessment profile requirements may place an unnecessary bureaucratic burden on those who care for young children

4. Recent evidence suggests that government interventions in education generally may not be driving standards up and may be putting too much pressure on children

It is always interesting to hear an alternative to the 'official' view on these matters. Thank you Marion for bringing this campaign to my attention- I completely missed it and it is obviously something we should all stay abreast of, I will follow it with interest!

• 2 weeks later...
The Early Years Forum is on TES

Thanks Marion: my experience of these things is very limited - the FSF comes up on its own tab whenever I connect to internet explorer and I just don't have time to look elsewhere!

Maz

• 4 weeks later...
Too far for me to travel I'm afraid xD

I did wonder if they would put on another event elsewhere for the people who live too far away. Equality of opportunity and all that! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)