Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Remeber When........

I remember the name but as I loath coconut (especially the smell) unless its in a bounty I probably never ate one.

Who remembers Bar Six? I think it was a bit like a kit-kat but I mostly remember the advert something about it being for adults only. I was only small at the time and really took it to heart. :o

Guest Wolfie

Don't remember those but I do remember Spangles...I nearly choked on one once whilst sucking it lying on my bed after Sunday lunch! :o

I remember the name but as I loath coconut (especially the smell) unless its in a bounty I probably never ate one.

Who remembers Bar Six? I think it was a bit like a kit-kat but I mostly remember the advert something about it being for adults only. I was only small at the time and really took it to heart. :o

I thought it was the Bourneville chocolate that was for adults only: I remember the advert with two children - one standing on the other's shoulders wearing a raincoat trying to pretend to be grown up.

Like you Rea I took it very much to heart. Whether it was Bar Six (much preferable to KitKat, IMHO) or Bourneville I remember my mum offering me a piece and me saying very earnestly "oh no mummy! that's for adults only!".

Which, whilst we're talking about it brings to mind the Clarks shoe advert about what small children were going to be when they grow up "and my mummy says I'm going to be a proper little madam"...

Maz

Oh the times I've recalled that 'proper little madam' at work. xD

There's a lot of them about.

Strangely they have always been a touch overweight, dark curly haired and completely unable to even have a go at riding a bike, climbing the climbing frame, throwing the ball, tidying up or flushing the toilet.

Whats in a name??? :o

Ohh Simcity ... Cabanas, yes I remember them. They were one of my 'craving' when I was pregnant - either '79 or '82 (the one good thing about being pregnant is that you can eat whatever you fancy as long as you say it's a craving xD ), those and Double Deckers I recall. Also had a 'craving' for chips and gravy :o It's a wonder my kids were so healthy!!!

PS white dog poo - I' definately say eating bones and not canned dog food has something to do with it!

Guest MaryEMac

I liked the mint Toffos best. I also enjoyed Spangles except for the Old English ones. As I remember they were the only sweets that my elderly great aunts used to buy. My brother and I quickly learned to say 'no thank you' if they offered us a sweet.

Mary

sorry for lowering the tone lol

but it was fun watching u lot discuss why it was white lol

to change subject again favourite children's books

me not being as old as you lot (hee hee) i remember reading susan coopers the dark is rising books and bein enthralled cant wait for film

also st Malorys was that enid blyton

sorry for lowering the tone lol

but it was fun watching u lot discuss why it was white lol

to change subject again favourite children's books

me not being as old as you lot (hee hee) i remember reading susan coopers the dark is rising books and bein enthralled cant wait for film

also st Malorys was that enid blyton

I think we really must have been separated at birth!

1st Form at Mallory Towers - pure heaven. And oh, the sequels!

I think that's where one of my favourite puns comes from. A new girl arrives at Mallory Towers (please don't tell me it was a boys' school!) and she pretends to be French. But she gets caught out one day when the says "quelle fromage" instead of "quelle domage" (I think). So now, when anything unexpected or disappointing happens I say quelle fromage!

You see Steve: Enid Blyton is to blame for my sense of humour!

Maz

I hated Enid Blyton, everyone was so goody goody, not like anyone I ever knew. I hated Blue Peter for the same reason. The only book I can remember reading was Black Beauty, I also had the story on LP read by one of the Vicky's from the TV series.

Do you remember 'Why dont you?' It had a 'doris' in it. My moms name so that was always fun!

And what about Lizzy Dripping? Wasnt she a witch? Did she live in something bottom? It was a name we always laughed at anyway. Or have I got a few programmes mixed up? :o

Or have I got a few programmes mixed up? :o

Its easily done isn't it? And then someone points out your mistake and a favourite childhood memory is shattered forever xD

Am trying to think of the other Enid Blyton series set in a boarding school - read them all several times but for the life of me...

I hear what you're saying about old EB - but they did provide a welcome respite in times of strife. Even whilst reading them I knew they didn't reflect anything happening in my life (I didn't do ballet or ride ponies) but they were an excellent form of escapism!

Do you mean the "Why Don't You Switch Off Your TV and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead"? Loved that - could have been me on the telly! I was always a Magpie girl - didn't watch blue peter at all.

One for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl and four for a boy! Ma-a-a-ag-pie-e-i-e-i-e-i!

Am going to lie down in a darkened room....

Maz

You were either Magpie or Blue Peter-I was a good 2 shoes and watched BP.I once made my mum a mothers day present of a pot to keep cotton wool balls in on her dressing table?? made with a margarine tub decorated with flowers made from coloured tissues.

The girl from Lizzie Dripping became a Blue Peter presenter.Tina?

We were a single parent/child family and I remember winter Saturday afternoons snuggled up under a blanket with mum watching BBC2.There was Play Away with Brian Cant followed a film usually a musical like '7 brides for 7 brothers' and it would have been in black and white.Looking back I think it was away of mum keeping us warm :o

My favourite book was a big picture bible.I could look through the picture for hours.

Guest Wolfie

Does anyone remember a set of books about the Fell Farm Campers?? My sister and I LOVED those, read them loads of times. Oh and also all the Noel Streatfield books - Ballet Shoes, Thursday's Child..which was a TV serial I think??

Oh, I loved those as well Anita. In fact when I was looking through some old books that I had put in a box in the loft, I found Heidi and Heidi Grows up and I gave them to a charity shop along with some other bits.

Sue J

Well done Sue, good to hear of your charitable decluttering :o

Peggy

Oh, I loved those as well Anita. In fact when I was looking through some old books that I had put in a box in the loft, I found Heidi and Heidi Grows up and I gave them to a charity shop along with some other bits.

Sue J

Well done Sue,

See how easy it is to de-clutter!! Any withdrawal symtoms?

:oxD

Sue, I think I've still got the books in the loft!!! As well as lots of other things that need to be thrown out, but it's really hard to part with things that were part of your childhood!

Anita

Good old Enid Blyton. I started off with Secret Seven, then onto Famous Five, then a couple of the Adventure of (or something), then Mallory Towers, then Twins at St. Clares. Only then did I graduate onto Nancy Drew Mysteries and eventually Agatha Christie books. When I compare myself to my children - I read loads!!!!

As for TV - Blue Peter.

As a mum I remember rushing home from picking my daughter up from playschool to watch Fat Tulips Garden told by (memory lapse - Robinson? Bauldrick from Black Adder) - would love them to repeat Fat Tulips Garden so I could tape them :o

I loved Heidi, too, also the Noel Streatfield books. What Katy Did was another of my favourites, also a series about a girl (can't remember her name) who was a nurse and each book followed her as a nurse in a different setting. I was once thinking of nursing as a career.

ohhh good old Enid Blyton for me too :o

I loved the mystery series: The mystery of the missing man.

ANyone remember Mr Galliano's circus ?!

As for Mallory Towers I just LOVED them. I remember the day I sat my 11+ and all I was interested in was the latest craze of superball( a tiny black ball that bounced forever!) and the latest Malory Towers book. Outside the exam room I remember Dad suggested I concentrated on 'bouncing answers to the questions' and he'd see about the ball and the book later!!

I remember the day I sat my 11+ and all I was interested in was the latest craze of superball( a tiny black ball that bounced forever!) and the latest Malory Towers book. Outside the exam room I remember Dad suggested I concentrated on 'bouncing answers to the questions' and he'd see about the ball and the book later!!

Gosh - what a good strategy! Did it work though (and more to the point did you get the ball?!).

Maz

Don't know whether the strategy worked but I passed the 11+ which resulted in the 'joy' of continuing my education in the convent I started at when I was 4! :o

More importantly yes I got the ball :( and Third term at Malory Towers and a strawberry milkshake too!! Isn't it funny/silly the little things we remember - this was over 40 years ago!!!!!!! xD:(

Guest MaryEMac

I loved What Katy Did and the follow ups, What Katy did next and What Katy did at school. Also Little Women, and the series of books that continued the story. I actually read them again a few months ago. Mind you I do read so much and my mum often used to say that I would be happy reading a sauce bottle or the cereal packet.

I was desperate to pass the 11+ too, not just to go to the High School but because someone had told me that you weren't allowed to cough in assembly at the other school :o . That thought stayed with me and luckily I passed. It was fun there until they amalgamated with the boys Grammar school and then I hated it. It took a year or so for me to change my mind about boys and found that they weren't all that bad. Oh memories.

Mary :(xD:(

this thread has been so nice to read

i been reminiscing with my mum too about where all my stuff went books etc and she still has most in a box in attic yippeee

also got onto the norty things i did as a child.off t pub instead of church group every friday when i was 15/16 i thought she never knew but it seems she had my brother pop in checking up on me every week and his friends (he's 3 years older than me)

bless

forget nintendo brain gym l'm going to think up an old forgotten memory every week to chat with my mum about