Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Remeber When........

ahhh, those lovely big half crown coins! If you were really lucky.......................really lucky,....... you might get one for christmas, until dad said 'oh that;s a lot of money, let me keep it safe for you until you think of what you want to spend it on'....... xD:o

Don't remember old money??????? Never learned this song (tune: on the first day of christmas...)

On the 27 February 1983

There's going to be

decimal currency

with 100 new pennies in a pound!!!!

So what if I'm going to be 46 tomorrow? I remember going to 'a very important meeting' (or so it seemed at my young age) at Sainsbury's in Croydon to a presentation all about the 'new' money. We got to see it before anyone else!! I also remember them asking me a question and me getting it wrong! (Scarred for life by Mr Sainsbury - maybe I should sue!)

How wonderful. And do you know what? I was never bored, I never washed my hands before grabbing a quick jam sandwich from someones house, we'd pool any pennies to get a bottle of corona and share it with everyone and the bit about being told off by anyones mom and having to carry the shopping was so true. :(

And who remembers dock leaves and their uses?! xD:o

Yes I have lived. As for dock leaves .Rea ... invaluable for nettle stings. Used to be able to find them in our back street - days before tarmac!?

Oh Saturday morning cinema, bliss. Just a cinema full of noisy kids, while mum went round town shopping. And penny arrow bars (1d that is - old money for all you youngsters!) from the penny tray at the sweet shop.

Spending summer holidays at the park, sliding down the hills on an opened out cardboard box. Oh those were the days.

Harricroft

What about:

Walkers toffees ( owned by the actress Denise Welch)

Mojos

threepenny bits - great for shape work!

Queen of the May

Roast potato in a bit of paper

Arrow bars

Chopper bikes

Clarks sandals

Bunty - the 3 marys?

or was it the Judy

Tressy doll - that hair!

Dare I say....'the good old days' I remembe them well :o

Me too - I loved the ladies' frocks and the community singing of "Down at the old bull and bush" (da da da da da)

And the chap with the moustache who used all the long words (actually that explains so much about me now that I think about it!).

Maz

Yes I have lived. As for dock leaves .Rea ... invaluable for nettle stings. Used to be able to find them in our back street - days before tarmac!?

Oh Saturday morning cinema, bliss. Just a cinema full of noisy kids, while mum went round town shopping. And penny arrow bars (1d that is - old money for all you youngsters!) from the penny tray at the sweet shop.

Spending summer holidays at the park, sliding down the hills on an opened out cardboard box. Oh those were the days.

Harricroft

Me and my friends were more inventive Harricroft, we played in the fields so docks leaves doubled as loo roll. It was too far to run home, so no-one did. xD:o

Me and my friends were more inventive Harricroft, we played in the fields so docks leaves doubled as loo roll. It was too far to run home, so no-one did. :(xD

Just so long as you got the dock leaves and the stinging nettles round the right way, Rea :o

Maz

Oh dear I can remember when we had bread (freshly baked) delivered by the baker and even before that there was a mobile shop (but we did live out in the sticks) mind you that was a very long time ago :o .

But can you remember the delight in taking back the Corona bottles and getting back something like 3d per bottle and then spending it on penny sweets - well actually didn't we used to get 4 fruit salds or 4 black jacks for just 1d.

Oh I've got another one ........ do you remember when crisps only came in ONE flavour ........ plain with the little blue bag of salt.

And I used to spend my 2/6d pocket money (treasured half crown) on 3 yards of elastic so we could play french skipping - it used to come on a piece of card.

I'm going now cos I could go on for absolutely hours - but of course there are things that I can remember that have stood the test of time like milky bar/ milky ways/mars bars/Bunty/Beano. Yes, all very fond memories.

I hope our children have fond memories too!

I was talking about American Gold "tobacco" that used to be coconut shreds covered in sugar, I could eat packets of it, and Jubblies that were big that you had to hold them with 2 hands. Lost in space that was as frightening as Doctor Who. Gob soppers that used to make you're jaw ache. Parties where you used to do apple bobbing. Dresses that my mum made and I never thought to say I didn't like them.

Ooooo like you janice could go on for hours.

Definetely the good old days.

Oooh I have just thought ' I remember that!' to lots of things already mentioned. :o

I loved the fruit salad/black jacks and remember dithering in the shop for ages trying to decide which combination I should buy with my whole 1d!

I had a comic delivered every week playhour when I was quite small, then Bunty and Jackie when I was a teenager (anyone else remember Cathy and Claire's problem page?!). I remember my brother getting Eagle and Look and Learn.

Birthday cards from relatives used to arrive with a 10/- note in or sometimes a whole £1 note!!

I do remember Tressy ' her hair grows' but my pride and joy was a Chatty Kathy!!

Tressy was brilliant ! Also liked Pippa dolls (really tiny with dead floppy knees!!)although they came a bit later. Didn't Tressy have a funny thing on her stomach which you had to turn to make the hair shorter and a button on the back which you had to press so you could pull the hair and make it long. I also used to envy girls who owned either a "Katie Copy Cat" (wrote on a board thing!) or a "Sweet April" doll ( came with a swing!) Did anyone else used to make Sindy dresses out of squares of material with two holes to put the arms thro, and then another bit of material tied round as a belt. We also rarely got 'real' drawing paper - my mum used to open up envelopes or cut up ends of rolls of old wallpaper!! (Bet you feel really sorry for me now!!)

Crazy horses by the Osmonds was our first record. It came with a small record player one Christmas and it was played all day.

Didn't have many visitors that day, I seem to remember!!!. lol

I had a tressy doll with the pull-out hair and one of my sisters had Patch who was Sindy's younger sister, I think.

Didnt we used to recycle a lot of stuff?

Corona bottles, milk bottles, envelopes, birthday/christmas cards, wallpaper, food scaps at my school went to the pig farmers, clothes! I well remember making bags out of skirts or tops. Loads of my dresses and trousers were home made and mom was a great knitter, pearl one drop one. :o

Reording Top of the Pops onto a little cassette recorder, trying to miss the DJ's intro. :(

Dad always had, still has, a shed load of wood, just in case someone needed a shelf. Lucas pallets usually. And there was no unecessary packaging, because all the food was home made from real ingredients.

Dirt was a common toy, resource, piece of equipment.

Gosh, this could go on and on... xD

This is a great thread! There's so much I'd forgotten!

I've nothing interesting to add, except I must be older than some of you - my first record was 'Good Vibrations', and first gig was Jimi Hendrix (supported by the Move and Amen Corner, with a new band who'd just released their second single as openers - you might have heard of them - Pink Floyd?)

But that's a different subject :o

Sue x

Ohhh! first records!!

I can remember mine as though it was yesterday! and rushing home to play it on the brand new blue record player dad had bought for 21 guineas!!

No milk today by Hermans Hermits.

No milk today, my love has gone away, the bottle stands forlorn a symbol of the dawn.......oops better shutup now!!

Guest MaryEMac

Riding my bike to see my friend who lived down the Fen, playing all day and then biking home after tea and my dad coming to meet me.

Sunday school Anniversaries where we learned recitations,special songs and performed them in a marquee behind the chapel. All the girls had new dresses,sandals and gloves! and they became our sunday best. We always had strawberries and cream for tea on anniversary sundays. The best bit was getting a half day off school to drive round the fen in a horse pulled cart singing our anniversary songs and collecting money for the sunday school. Then tea and games in the marquee. Oh happy days. :oxD

Mary

Crazy horses by the Osmonds was our first record. It came with a small record player one Christmas and it was played all day.
SNAP!!

The first record I bought with my own money was Born with a smile on my face by stephanie de sykes who was appearing in Crossroads at the time (must have been the first soap star turned pop star)

I can remember watching the man landing on the moon with my Grandad.We were on holiday in Cleethorpes at the time and I'm been in bed with an ear infection.He bought me a glass bottle of Coke with a stripy straw(my first taste) and roast chicken crisps as you could only get plain at home and we watched together :(

Not being chosen to be a Maypole dancer :( but had to do a country dance!

Collecting 'coins' from a petrol station for the Apollo space missions.

Openning the tea packet to find the picture card.

Dry porriage oats sprinkled with sugar in a paper bag instead of sweets.

Grandma spreading the jelly on the bottom of the dripping on bread then frying it as a special treat :o

Sunday teatime BBC childrens drama's-Ballet shoes-Little Princess-Prince and Pauper spring to mind.

White knee socks with embrodiery up the side

Peggy purse with a days of the week hanky in and a small brown envelope with dinner money in which was 12p a day or 60p for the week.

Rice pudding/sago/semelina with brown sugar/jam/prunes for school desert

Junior choice on Sunday mornings with Ed Stewart-Sparky's piano-One wheel on my wagon-Right said Fred got to get a move on-little white bull .....

Having a shop in the class so we could practise with the 'new money' and a beetle type game to build a man with the new coins

Conductors on buses

Outside school toilets and the dinner ladies having the toilet paper tied on string around their waists and having to ask for it.

Teacher taking us outside to look at snowflake crystals landing on our arms and everone carrying on while she fell on the ice and broke her arm xD

have to go get tea......think we'll have one of them new fangled Vesta meals

Oh biccy!!

I remember I celebrated the end of my GCE 'O' levels by having a Vesta curry - it wasn't great, and mum moaned for ages at the smell left behind!!!! :o Everyone else was either at work or school so I thought I'd be safe.

Thanks again for the memories, chaps.....

Ahh, Junior Choice....remember "Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda, here I am at Camp Grenada...."!!!

Oooh, and Puff the Magic Dragon!

Edited by Wolfie