Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Golden Rules

My pre-school group are currently doing a lot of positive work on golden rules. They have written rules together, and the children have taken photos of each other.

The staff have made a display, with a section for each child, in order to reward children's achievements with regards to the golden rules.

Sorry I am being vague - the that is the point of this post! :o A staff member explained it to me - but I still don't understand it. The staff arn't using it consistently - which indicates that they don't understand it either. And more importantly, I asked the children about the display, and they couldn't tell me!!!

They are really keen to have a display which the children add to in recognition for their behaviour, etc - but I would strongly prefer it to be one that works! Any ideas you have to share would be GREATLY appreciated!

Hi Shelley

I like the fact that the children as well as the staff have been involved with making your 'golden rules' for your setting - the rules are much more likely to be followed because the children can understand them and have signed up to them, as it were.

Does your display attempt to record the rewards all the children in the group have received for following the golden rules - ie can the parent of one child see how many stickers/rewards received by other children as well as their own? Or have I missed the point?

I ask because when I joined my setting there was a huge display with all the children's names on it and all the stickers received by each individual child in the group. This caused all sorts of problems with parents complaining that their child didn't have as many stickers as so-and-so and children became quite demoralised.

We changed this to put an individual sticker chart in each child's "special book" so only the child and their parents could see how many stickers they had.

Mind you, we don't give out stickers any more, so we don't need to have a chart of any type!

Sorry - that's probably not a lot of help in answering your original question, is it? :o

Maz

we do a similar thing but put our rules in a large cardboard book with photos which is movable - these days if a child is not sharing or being kind ect the older ones go and get the book to show the younger ones :o

we do a similar thing but put our rules in a large cardboard book with photos which is movable - these days if a child is not sharing or being kind ect the older ones go and get the book to show the younger ones :o

Are they scaffolding children's learning then Hali? Or just being bossy er sorry I meant acting as role models!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)