Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eal

Hi Spaceman,

I'm currently asking one of our parents to transalte some well used words for us (such as please sit, time to play, lunch time, toilet time). I'm asking mum what the sentence is and writing it down as it's said (even though it spells incorrectly-as I'll know how to pronounce it).

I'm also going to invite mum in and have a chat about whether she may be happy to come in and talk to the children about some of the cultural differences (maybe the weather, food or toy's available).

It's initially hard to do, but in my experience, these parents are desparate to join in and feel part of the school system.

I always read literature out to the parents or ask a staff/parent volunteer to do so.

I grew up in Central Portugal for a while and believe me, you do feel an outsider and it's harder for the parents to get involved as they can't read the literature and miss out when it's dressing up day etc.

Best of luck,

Oh and don't forget your County Council should have a translation department as well as help from your area senco.

Well done Wolfie,

I'm not too clever at the mo and haven't mastered adding links to my replies!

(something to do with the loud music I'm blasting in my ears & the large glass of vino) :o x

Certainly worth getting a copy of the booklet.

One other thing worth mentioning is the Communicating Matters training that si gradually being rolled out nationally to all early years practitioners. Module 3 concentrates on EAL strategies in particular, but all modules give you ideas and stategies to encourage communication skills will all children. I'm involved in delivering the training in our area and thoroughly recommend it - it might be worth checking if it's being offered where you are? :o

Hi guys,

I'm guessing that EAL is something to do with english not being the home language, but what oes it stand for.

I know I keep asking these daft questions, am I the only one who struggles with some of the abbrieviations?

Sal

EAL - English as an additional language

Abbreviations are there to make things less cumbersome but can be confusing if the abbreviation isn't made clear at the start. This is one of my pet hates, if I read something that uses abbreviations and there is an assumption that you know them.

Not a daft question at all! I was at Common Assessment Framework (CAF!) training on Tuesday and spent all day asking what different abbreviations meant...and every time I did, other people said they were glad I'd asked because they didn't know either!

Edited by Wolfie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)