Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Who Should Have Started School In September But Didn't

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

Not sure if this is in the right place but here goes.

We have a child in our setting who could have gone to school in September but didn't because her mum thought that she wouldn't be able to cope emotionally. I think that it was probably mum who wasn't ready to let her go. This little girl rules the roost at home, she won't go anywhere if she doesn't like the people there. Hence she is with us, not the playgroup in her own village.

My question is, 'will she have to legally be in school in the term in which she is 5 which would be the summer term?' If she doesn't will that affect our registration with ofsted?

Thanks in advance.

Mary

Not sure if this is in the right place but here goes.

We have a child in our setting who could have gone to school in September but didn't because her mum thought that she wouldn't be able to cope emotionally. I think that it was probably mum who wasn't ready to let her go. This little girl rules the roost at home, she won't go anywhere if she doesn't like the people there. Hence she is with us, not the playgroup in her own village.

My question is, 'will she have to legally be in school in the term in which she is 5 which would be the summer term?' If she doesn't will that affect our registration with ofsted?

Thanks in advance.

Mary

I think legally they have to be in full time education by the term following their fifth birthday (so the maximum age of joining primary school is probaly 5 years 4 months or something like that).

We have a little girl who stayed with us for an extra half term so we could effectively manage her transition to primary school. She does three full days at school at present (her birthday was at the beginning of November). However, from January she will have to go every day - no options!

As for your Ofsted registration that depends on what your certificate of registration says. Mine says no more than 24 children between the ages of two and under 8. I'm assuming that if yours says the same you'll be ok. However, if it specifies an age below the age of your little girl, then you'd need to talk to Ofsted and explain your situation. I'm not sure of the technicalities - perhaps they need to confirm its ok.

Maz

Compulsory education is from the term after the child's 5th birthday, as Maz says. However, if mum is at all concerned about her emotionally coping I would suggest that she needs to get her into school asap. It is much more likely that she will cope with reception than she will with entry into year1 cold, as it were, especially if the school are still quite formal in year1.

I am surprised that the school have been able to keep a place for her, has mum applied? Unless the school is undersubscribed it may not even be possible to start school in September or at any other point this school year although Mum will be legally obliged to get her to one with a place which could involve a journey?

I know when I worked at an oversubscribed school we had to fill all places for a September start and could not keep any empty even for a child with special needs and part of that recognised need was that the child should stay in nursery for another term. She was a catchment child with siblings in school too so on all accounts fulfilled admission criteria.

I would always suggest that children go to school with the rest of their peers, its much harder to settle later when the group is established and rules etc in place.

Hope all goes well and you get your question re Ofsted answered.

We have this situation within our children's centre, we have 5 children of reception school age who are attending the day nursery part time. We have a dire shortage in our area for school and preschool places.

It is perfectly legal for the children to remain with you if as Maz said you are covered with your registration. In my LA, although they do state the legal position of term after 5th birthday they do expect summer born children to have at least one term of reception education.

Some 4 year olds are not ready for school, especially if the school is quite formal in its approach, and although my decision to have the children attend our pre school was not popular, I would defend the parent's right to choose.

But this all comes with a BUT. Susan it quite right in that schools will not hold places for children whose parents don't take up a place when offered. It might be a good idea for the mum to check where schools have vacancies so that she can make an informed decision.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)