Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Urgent! Ideas Needed For Role Play- Water Topic

calling all imaginations

I needed a wee bit of inspiration for our role play area. Our topic is water (my clever colleagues next door are doing 'under the sea'). :o

I've done Mrs Wishy Washy's laundry for a couple of years and want a change... any ideas ?? (I've seen a pirate ship in a book but the construction looks a little challenging.) We don't have any sides to the role play area bar a couple of screens.

Liza

you could have a build a boat area ,with lots of boxes ,tubes etc.ask the children what different sorts of boats they could build ,like fishing,sailing,canal etc. i`m sure the children will provide the rest of the ideas to what they need for their boat! maddy.

Hi, Liza!

I've done Pirates a few times - it tends to take off on it's own, and really is popular! Lots of big cardboard boxes, flattened, provide the basis for your ship, attach it to whatever is available, imagination does the rest! Depending on abilities, you can plan the painting and attaching with chn, discussing ships, pirates etc with them.

Research pirates - fun!! Talk about props together, make them, sing pirate songs ("When I was one......"), read/tell pirate stories, re-enact them. Make treasure, treasure chests, fish, monsters (AAArgh ) and mermaids (aaah!) to adorn the walls. And of course your Jolly Roger!! :o

May not be what you wanted, but it really works!!!

If you want more input, just ask! :D

Sue :D

Hi Liza

Our topic this term is "Row your boat" as in the book and the song. We have made an island using a sandy coloured mat and the sea with a large sheet of blue polythene. Then the children have made a large palm tree and painted grass etc. We have a lovely piece of net fabric which is blues and greens and makes a great sea backdrop which we have attached to the wall and they have painted fishes. They have also painted the animals from the book. We have a deckchair, sunvisors and hats and sunglasses. We upturned the top of a gym box for the boat and one of my staff brought in a set of small oars.

The children have really enjoyed making it and playing in it. We also made a small world island.

Linda

I know it's a little off the topic of water but like Sue I thought aboout Pirates :D You could try some of the following, taken from my previous planning notes!! :o

DRESSING UP:

make pirates hats from black card and paper, skull and cross bones, make eye patches, bandannas, stripey jumpers or t shirts, belts with buckles, stripey socks

TREASURE MAPS:

Treasure Island! Make a treasure map of the pre school, can we find the hidden treasure? use tables and chairs as landmarks, count out paces, X marks the spot! left, right, forward, backwards.

EXPERIMENT:

Can we drink Sea water? What does it taste like? Add salt to tap water, can we taste the difference?

HOME CORNER:

Turn the home corner into a Galleon, with sails, ships wheel,Flags, telescopes(made from kitchen roll tubes), crows nest.

FISH:

bring in a live fish in a bowl, let the children see it swimming around, how does it breathe? Bring in a real fish from the fishmongers, show children the head, gills, fins, scales, eyes. Does it smell nice? Observational drawing of the fish.

SWIMMING:

What do we wear when we go swimming? Who can swim? When do we use water other than gooing swimming? Bathtime, washing clothes, toilet flushing, drinking water, watering garden, Rainfall is our water.

DISPLAY:

Sea at bottom, ship sailing on top with a pirate aboard. Sea creatures in the sea, fish, shells, octopus, seaweed, rocks, sunken treasurechest containing jewels, braclets, necklaces, earings, rings, gold and silver coins.

AQUARIUM:

make an aquarium from old cardboard box, hanging fish from the top of box by thread, this could be a whole group activity.

NEW VOCABULARY:

Ahoy! ship, treasure, telescope, pirate,deck, cabin, gold, silver, jewels, diamonds, sapphires, ruby.

Diamonds: white

SAPPHIRE: Blue

RUBY: Red

EMERALD: Green

BOOK: Peter Pan/Captain Hook

and I'm sure there was something about hopping on one leg like Long John Silver!!

If I get anything more for you will pass it on.

Cherry :)

Last summer term I set up a 'beach' in the annexe of our building. I had sealife creatures, pebbles and shells in the water tray, buckets and spades in the sand tray, an inflatable dinghy with oars, rubber rings, and a blanket with sun hats, sunglasses, picnic basket and beach balls. The children had loads of fun. :)

thanks sue for the words.

I'm going with the pirate theme as I'm feeling in the need of a bit of skullduggery! :o Have been out trawlling the charity shops for all tings piratey! Can't wait to get going with it all on Monday :D

liza

Hi we are doing water.

On Friday set up water tray with pile of sand in middle and water round edge with boats and treasure and flags.

Was a great success kids loved it but it was a bit of state at the end :D

Gosh I am excited about this already. please could I have the words too Sue.

With my reception children I have done a whole class drama session 'at the seaside'. I set up a beach in one area and we pretend/plan our trip, what we will take, what we will see etc and reenact going on the bus, singing etc and getting to the beach.

When we get to the beach we put on our beachy things and off we go but lo.... we find a very old lady on the beach (my TA dressed up) who is sitting looking very sad. We go and find out what is the matter and she tells us that she has lost her memory but knows that she used to come here when she was a little child. She says she remembers that she was happy here but can't remember why. With careful questioning the children decide it is because beaches are fun places to be. Then they show her all the things that are to be done on a beach - mime etc. She tries what they suggest , one suggestions at a time, and in the end she is happy and smiling etc. we wave good bye, have iice creams and then go home on the bus. Great fun, lots of language and the children do lots of the thinking.

That's a lovely idea, Jacquie!

Will send you the words a bit later - I'll have to save them, this time, in case anyone else wants them :o Never can think ahead outside the setting!!!!

just to let you all know that the galleon is now in place and ready for some piratanical action when we get back from the half term! :D

Thanks once again for the great ideas guys... we've had a great week building the ship and making all manner of things for the inside (cardboard planks made into shiplap for the interior and the galley, a huge yucca plant that we 'stole' from the hall :o to give it that island look sits wonderfully by the sand tray. It really does look fab and we are so excited about getting in there and playing.

One more trip to the car boot tomorrow should hopefully bring in some more treasures!

cheers

liza

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd ask how the Pirates are getting on! Glad you had fun getting it ready. It sounds even better than ours!! :o

The Yucca was an inspiration - I'll have to remember that next time xD

Cheers, Sue :D

hi there Sue R

it's taken me a bit of a while to get used to the new look site... still undecided if I like it or not. I suppose I was so used to the other it seemed easier to navigate around and the background colours were much better on the eye... but hopefully it will grow on me... like the yucca; which is why I'm replying to your last post

The pirate theme is going down a storm xD excuse the pun! The song we sing everyday and I made the mistake that everytime I utter the word 'Pirate' they all shout aha! in a piratey voice!!! Needless to say the p word is uttered at least every 10 minutes :o so is quite exhausting but they love it.

I've managed to get some great bargains from the car boot for Pirate small world play and the head has been super generous and bought us pirates from the early learning centre!

We've made maps, messages in bottles, pieces of eight from salt dough and next week will be building boats and rafts as we explore floating and sinking. I'm loving it as much (perhaps more than) the kids :D

Neil Griffiths (he of story sacks fame) produced a great book about role play corners which offers great inspiration for all types of scenarios and how to set them up.

Lisa

p.s if you are interested I have some photos on my PC of the ship but am not sure how you would view :( them unless you emailed me if you are interested.

Thanks for the Pirate song words Sue. I can see the children will love it and I will keep it in mind for when I am planning for September.

What's the tune though? :o

• 3 weeks later...

we re really enjoyng the pirate theme too just now.....however i find there is a distinct lack of suitable pirate stories :o.....any inspiration anyone?

Here goes -

The Man Whose Mother was a Pirate - Margaret Mahy

Pirate Jam (author eludes me)

Captain Prue and her Scurvy Crew - my copy at work, will post again with author...

Loads of others with 'collections'.

Will list and post at a later date

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)